Prologue Part 6- Inara.

My ghungroos release loud melodies as my foot pats against the ground with applied force. The sitar in the background slows down, indicating the end of the song, and I start to execute the outro. I try to finish off the dance with as much grace as possible.

The song ends and so do my feet as I look at my teacher for approval. 

She shakes her head and says, "Your steps have gotten too loose nowadays, Inara. What's happening with you?"

My face falls and I look down at the floor. Always a disappointment. I thought dancing would be the one thing I'll be able to do perfectly as I always have but... turns out it's not. I was born to be an average child.

But my parents would not accept that because, with the family that I'm born in, I'm not allowed to be.

I gently unwrap the ghungroos from my ankles and put them on the table. The lilies on my hair have loosened a bit and I adjust them to make my hair look presentable. I pick up the earrings I had removed before dancing and put them on as well.

I walk through the large hallways of my house and reach the dining area. It's a hall with a table big as much as 15 feet or so and with 12 chairs around it. Our entire family, extended, sit and have meals together.

I straightened my dress a bit and sat on my usual seat at the table.

"I just had a chat with your dance teacher." My mother comes into the room, holding her hands in front of her, the aristocratic posture perfectly executed.

I kept my eyes on the tablecloth before me, waiting for her to continue and show her disappointment.

"This was your last chance, Inara. Even your grades are low. And now so is your dance." She shakes her head in disappointment and I wanted the earth to swallow my body at this moment.

"Your mother and I had a little chat." My father appeared in the dining room, his hands folded behind his back. And his knee-length kurta shone with the gems sewn on them.

I dared to look up from the table and met their eyes.

"She said you've lost your grace. Care to explain?" My mother takes a seat opposite of me and I look back down at my empty plate.

"Sorry, maa. I'll try harder next time." I say. And all I get in reply is a disbelieving 'hm.'

We're the high castes of Rajasthan, the live in a castle, has 300 workers, owns many lands and businesses kinda high caste. And hence, I can't be average. I'm supposed to be extraordinary. I'm supposed to get the highest grades of all the students, I'm supposed to know how to cook every single dish known to mankind, and I'm supposed to know everything about everything. But I don't.

I've lost my appetite but I still accept a bit of food because if I don't eat, my parents will be the one thing they're excellent at being.

Disappointed.

—💎—

I brush my fingers through my hair, untangling them. The needlework I'm doing is really difficult but I'm great at this. But, according to my parents, it's not really useful. I pass the needle through the cloth and it makes a beautiful braid-like design.

I look out the window I'm sitting next to. The sun is shining bright and the heat is lowering, indicating it's almost evening. There are many kites flying in the sky. There's still time for Makar Sankranti but... that's India for you. Celebrations of a festival always start 10 days prior to the festival.

"Inara?" Zafreen declares her presence in the room and I turn gently towards the sound to see her standing at the doorway. My truest friend, my only friend really, she has been in the haveli as long as I've been. Her mother, Inara, worked here before she died a tragic death. She had been very close to my parents, and quite loyal too, hence being the person I was named after in her honour.