Prologue

KIMBERLY

Birthday's were my favourite celebration.

I love baking cakes for people. I love buying presents. I love seeing the raw happiness on their faces. I love birthdays.

I hum my favourite song as I finish piping the chocolate icing on my boyfriend's birthday cake. The front door opens and my boyfriend's bestfriend walks in. "Done with the cake?" Cole asks, his gase trailing over me before shifting them to the cake.

I nod my head, smiling at him. "His favourite." I say.

It's my boyfriend's birthday and we're currently attempting to surprise him in his house. He gave me his house key a while ago and I snuck in earlier today. He has been holed up in his room all day. Cole looks down at the chocolate cake that says happy birthday!

"That looks delicious." he murmurs and I grin at the compliment before murming a thank you. "He should be in his room," Cole tells me. "Unfortunately Tyler can't make it," he adds.

I frown at his words. Tyler was Matthew's other friend. He was always so welcoming and kind to me. He was my favourite out of all Matthew's friends. "We'll record a video for him. Same with Avery and Darcy. Isla said she'll come later but she doesn't know about this surprise."

"Let's go," he whispers and I grab the cake carefully.

Cole guides me up the stairs carefully so I don't fall and ruin the cake. God, can you imagine that disaster?

Today was going to be perfect. I had dinner reservations at his favourite restaurant and then we were going to go to the beach tonight. His favourite type of night.

"3, 2, 1." Cole mouths and we push open the door. The words happy birthday died on my tongue as I register the scene in front of me. My boyfriend naked on top of my best friend. The cake drops out of my hand as a gasp escapes my throat. "What the fuck." I scream.

"Oh my God." she squeals. "Kim. What are you doing?" she screams and Matthew rolls off her body and Isla uses the duvet to cover her body. 

"What am I doing? What are you doing?" I exclaim as Matthew pulls his trousers back up. He walks towards me and I lean down to pick up the remaining cake and smashed it in his face. "I hope you like your birthday fucking cake." I hiss. "With my best fucking friend." I snorted, although it was not amusing at all.

"Kimberly," she whispers, her shirt not even on right. She takes a step forward. "I swear to god take a step forward and I'm going to lose my shit." I snap.

"Let's all calm down." Cole interjects, holding a hand out.

"Calm down? He's sleeping with my best friend." I shout.

"You threw a cake in my face." he tries to defend.

I roll my eyes. "I hope it fucking hurt, asshole."

"We're done. Fucking over. Both of you. I don't want to see either of your faces again."

I turn around to leave and Cole grabs my wrist. "You can't drive home." he demands. I wipe my tears frantically. "Let go of me. I'm leaving." I glance back at my best friend. "I can't even stand to look at her anymore."

Cole let's go of me and I storm downstairs. "Oh my God." I whisper, running a hand through my hair. Angry and bitter tears run down my cheek and I wasn't thinking as I grab the nearest object and threw it at his car window. "Take that, asshole." I shout as the glass shatters everywhere. I broke all four of his windows and then dropped the metal pole and got into my car.

Fuck him. And fucking fuck birthday surprises.