Chapter 3: The Fool

There was something different with Hermione this year - Tom simply could not put his finger on it. He'd bumped in with her, Hagrid, and Harry - who looked a little worse for wear - just before they'd entered Flourish and Blotts. She seemed to act differently too; more friendly -- not to him, mind you, but the change of environment surrounding her had indeed changed.

    They had talked quite a lot over the summer holiday (only 2 or 3 letters, though -- yet by Tom's standards that was still a lot). Far more than Tom foresaw they'd do. She was different to him now; he hadn't a clue what that was, of course - but it was something noteworthy. Something to be avoided. 

   Or, which is what Tom hypothesises, he has been taken away by hatred. Never once had Tom had so much negative emotion, and if any at all for a matter of fact, than at the moment. For who stood in front of him, before the crowd of mostly women that formed in Flourish and Blotts, had to be the biggest fraud in history. Gilderoy Lockhart. The fool could not even hold his wand in the correct manner, when he showcased how he took down the 'Bandon Banshee'. He held it like a stick, not a wand.

    The woman, and a few men, cheer for his every idiotic move. Tom, Ron, Harry, Ginny, the Weasley twins, and Mr Weasley hated him - but Hermione, and Ms Weasley loved him. Tom's stomach lurched at the sight; he frowned deeply at Lockhart, who stumbled when he saw Tom's dark expression. However, Lockhart's expression changed completely once he spotted Harry. He smiled widely at the sight of Harry; well, more so at the sight of Harry's lightening-bolt shaped scar.

    'I don't believe it' Lockhart whispered; he even stopped his fictional story of how he defeated an entire pack of werewolves with three drops of dragon's blood. 

     'Harry Potter' said Lockhart.

     'Harry Potter?!' called the a man holding a camera. 

     He smashed past Ron, to the front of the crowd; 'My name is Bozo, sir - photographer for the Dailey Prophet'.

     Upon hearing Bozo, Lockhart grabbed Harry and forced him up on the stage with him. 'Smile, Potter; me and you together will dominate the front page for a whole week!' said Lockhart. Harry smiled uncomfortably, as the camera flashed time after time. 

    'Now - what an occasion this is...' said Lockhart opened, discreetly telling the photographer to leave; which he did, very glad with himself.

   Lockhart kept his hands around Harry; 'that young Harry would come into Flourish and Blotts, wanting buy a copy of my new autobiography 'magical me' this fine afternoon...'. Lockhart took his arms off Harry, taking a stack of books off of the desk in the middle of the stage. 

    'but, what young Harry did not know, was that he'd be leaving with all my signed works, this day - and signed - free of charge' said Lockhart, dumping the stack of books on Harry, who almost crumbled under the weight.

    The crowd burst into applause - including Hermione. His stomach churned once again. How a girl as smart as Hermione could fall for a man like Lockhart was beyond the boy. Then again, he ought be less than surprised by this fact; for everything to do with emotion was beyond Tom. 

    Lockhart summoned Harry back into his arms; 'and, well, now seems as good a time as any to make an announcement'. As if by odd telepathy, the photographer came rushing back into Flourish and Blotts, barged through Ron again, and arrived at the front of the crowd. 

    'Young Harry here will be delighted to know that I am to be the next Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor!'.

    The crowd erupted in delight, clapping vigorously; including Hermione. Tom had not felt such pure hatred since Mr Wilshire beat him on his 10th birthday. Ms Weasley was made absolutely ecstatic by the news; 'my children taught my Lockhart? oh Merlin's beard!' she said.