15

Adeline slept alone that night. Her tears were captured by her pillows while her heart rattled in pain. Those few moments finally making sense as she let her sobs racked.

"How come I've never been to your home? The promise of taking me to your bed seems like an empty promise. Although, Paris is a better alternative."

She laid in his side, her acrylic nail tracing long knife scar that kissed his chest with untold stories.

"I'll bring you to Paris, soon baby." He repeated the same answer over and over everytime she asked.

He was married.

"You're leaving so soon? I thought you were spending the night?"

Adeline saw the three stacks of bundled money, all held together by a simple band of rubber.

"What's this?" She asked taking the money. Sitting on the edge of her bed, she watched Lorenzo's back flex as he fixed his belt.

"Nothing really," he gave a smile and continued getting dress. "I just have something to do for a minute. I'll see you later tonight okay, Adeline?"

He kissed her lips, leaving her on her bed alone with her bed sheet covering her naked body.

He gifted her a necklace. He kissed her lips, touched her body. And he was committed to another woman.

"What are you making?" Lorenzo wrapped his arms around his woman. Watching the steam come from the pot slowly. Excitedly she took the wooden spoon and held it to his lips after blowing on it.

"Try some."

This woman went to bed with him. Woke up to the mornings with him.

"Breakfast in bed? I can't believe I missed the opportunity to watch you cook." He took the space next to her, both of their foods matching as she grabbed the remote.

Lorenzo couldn't hide the admiration in his eyes for this woman, her side profile in focus as she tried to find a good show.

His kiss on her cheek was subtle, simple and full of so much meaning as they ate together.

The hours passed, her eyes sore and red as she tossed and turned. The same sheets that they slept under.

"So wait, you still fought him? You said he was a close friend of yours." She trailed the years old scar that was faint but noticeable by a hard stare. His forearm flexing slightly in response to her touch.

Lorenzo nodded, his eyes on her light blue nails as she traced the small wound.

"He was.. but who else were we supposed to train with? My father was grooming me to take his place as Don. He wanted me to be used to being alone as he was when he was Don."

"Wait so-"

"He was betrayed a lot. Trusted the people that weren't deserving of his trust. So he tried to push that same understanding on me. It's also why I have very selective friends, baby."

Her hum was small in understanding.

It was reaching 5:47 in the morning when Adeline decided to get up. Unplugging her phone, she took record of 7 missed calls from Christian.

None from Lorenzo.

Did he know she was upset? Hurt by his confession? Did the man even care? Did he ever care?

He knew what she wanted, those times she lusted about her desires. He knew he had a wife.

"...definitely want to be married though. I mean I wont have sex with just anybody. But I like the imagination of me having sex with my future husband, the risk of us having a child as a result."