six

Lexa ordered the guards to care for Clarke with everything she needs, give her breakfast and escort her out when she's ready. By the time her tedious meeting ends at noon, Clarke must be gone already.

She leaves to the training grounds immediately after the meeting to train with the Nightbloods; this day, there will be sword fighting lessons, but the rain that sets in soon makes it more of a not-slipping-on-wet-grass-while-fighting lesson.

The children and teenagers look more miserable the more time goes by.

"Keep going, Aden!" Lexa shouts when the young boy she's training with lets up too easily. "Your enemy won't wait for you either."

"Yes, Heda," he says, bows quickly and picks his wooden sword back up.

"Everyone, do not give in because of the rain. Keep training. Especially when it gets difficult, you need to push harder!"

Lexa generally likes training the Nightbloods. They're respectful but not fearful, almost the closest thing to equals Lexa has, and having people to train, to pass her skills onto, makes her feel like she's actually doing something meaningful outside of those meetings and fights.

Besides, she enjoys raising them with strictness, nurturing their resilience in fighting, their strength overall, but leaving out some of the things Titus and the previous Heda used to do to her generations of Nightbloods. In the end, now that she has all the clans in a coalition (except Azgeda, so far), her next goal to work towards is a renewed system from within.

Statistically, Lexa has achieved more peace than ever before, so there is a chance for her to hope for a longer life than the other Hedas had. She wants the Nightbloods to become skilled warriors and leaders, but as long as she lives, they should somewhen have the chance to go back to their native clans and act as her extension. Leaders of the clan, or politicians of the clan, all under her rule. And when she dies, she wants her successor to be chosen by the flame, but not through violence. Not through the conclave.

It's a plan that's private so far. Silent work. Lexa has already taken apart traditionalism brick by brick for years, with some big achievements like the coalition, a new law forbiding slavery and another law forbiding unregistered violence (unofficial punishments, for example), but to change the choosing of the Heda as a nearly divine-considered process is pushing it.

It's difficult to keep the spirits of the Hedas in the flame at bay, to keep them from infiltrating her dreams calling her a traitor betraying their legacy, to keep Titus at bay, to keep the clans at bay and the population at once, and she needs to carefully measure each bite she takes so that she doesn't bite off something she can't chew.

There's another thing besides the Nightbloods that comes to Lexa's mind with this.

Not directly, not there in the pouring rain, looking into the determined blue eyes of the little warrior opposing her, but later, when she's back in the tower entirely drenched and mildly sore. Not as bad as the Nightbloods must be, though. She orders the maids to warm up the Nightblood's quarters properly and the servants to bring those who want it hot chocolate- a rare specialty.

She has just reached the elevator when there are several excited calls of her title behind her, "Heda!" they all shout and Lexa turns around with a raised eyebrow.

Excited young Nightblood children stand in the archway of the corridor and beam at her. "Did you order us hot chocolate?"

"You fought well today, and you cannot after all get sick," Lexa says with a wink.

"The others sent us to give you everyone's thank you, Heda. They were afraid the guards would stop a hoard of us running after you," Aden explains his younger companion's breathless question.

"Well, you are very welcome. Now go on, or your chocolate will be cold."

Lexa chuckles when they run away again after bowing and enters the elevator. When she reaches her chambers, the guards bow like usual, but speak up as well, "Heda," one says in a tone that indicates something succeeding the title. Hopefully no emergency to be attended to. "The lady you dined with yesterday sent you something."

"Oh?" Lexa's heart is beaing unreasonably fast upon the mention of Clarke.

"You sound surprised- Is it unwanted, Heda? Should we send it back to her or throw it away?"

"No, it is not unwanted. What is it?"

"A small basket, Heda. It will be brought to you right away."

"Thank you."

Lexa enters her rooms and wonders what on Earth Clarke has to give to her as she unclasps her shoulder protection. The armor is wet and heavy now and she peels out of it layer by layer only slowy. Before she is done entirely, the guards call out that the basket is there. "Bring it inside," Lexa orders. "And please send a maid, I would like a bath."

While a maid cares for a hot bath with scented oils and a small food tray beside it, Lexa curiously sits down at the table with the basket in front of her. There's another candle, flowers and a letter.

It reads;

Heda, thank you so much for last night, I owe you a lot. If you need anything of me at all, I'm at your disposal any time.

Clarke

And smaller beneath the neat handwriting;

P.S. That also means, if you want a revanche to my glorious win at our last game of dice, you know where to find me. I would be honored to be the one to host a dinner, Heda.

-

When the Heda comes (against Clarke's expectations, but certainly she hoped for it) it's late again. Clarke begins to think that the Heda prefers the shadows, the emptier market, the lack of attention.

But apparently, she's not there to stay.

"Heda," Clarke says mildly surprised when she sees the woman in front of her stand.

"Good evening."

"Would you like to come in?"

"No, thank you, I do not have much time. I came to ask about the offer you made."

Clarke smiles. "Dinner?"

"Yes, but not today. Maybe next week Monday?"

"Monday sounds great, yes."

"And Clarke, could we perhaps dine outside of Polis? I apologize for the secrecy, but I cannot afford anybody noticing me in your stand for too long repetitively. What to tell your mother if she comes by again, or a curious citizen, you know."

"I understand, Heda, of course. Would you prefer a picnic or a dinner in one of the surrounding villages?"

"A picnic sounds amazing if it is no trouble. Thank you."

"Of course, Heda. Shall I bring the game of dice?"

The Heda shows the sign of a smile as well. "I would be delighted."

____________________________________