Chapter 5: Iida's Inspiration

Zero stumbled backwards, clutching his arm, "Damn you!" He shouted at the monster in front of him.

The monster made a sort of laughing sound as it drew closer. Zero got into his defensive stance, being careful of what the beast could do. The demon rushed forward, swinging its arms as he waddled closer to Zero.

"Bring it on!" Zero kicked off the streets and leaped forward. He raised his knee in time to make contact with the monster's head. The monster's skull was critically injured from the attack and backed off, growling at a higher pitch than normal monsters. Its big eyes stared at Zero as he smirked. "That's all you got?"

The monster's horn glowed yellow as it shot beams at him. Zero grabbed his sluggers and slashed through, making sparks fly past him and lighting up the night. Feeling good about himself, Zero came closer and threw his sluggers at the beast. The sluggers drifted forward and slashed off the monster's claws.

The monster screeched and squealed in pain, backing off and falling into a building. Luckily, everyone was evacuated in the area for now, so Zero didn't worry about it too much. He quickly retracted his slugger's back and swung his hands out, charging for his attack. Bright yellow energy surged into his arms as he crossed them together.

"Wide Zero Shot!"

The bright beam of light shot forwards and surged closer toward the creature. The creature suddenly did something unexpected. It opened a stomach hatch and started to absorb his ray.

"What the?!" Zero quickly stopped his attack to prevent over-consumption of his energy. The monster started to laugh in a high-pitched way as it started to show off its stomach hatch.

"I've heard of you!" Zero exclaimed as he pointed at the bird creature, "A monster who absorbs ranged attacks... you're... Bemstar!"

Bemstar squealed in laughter as he heard his name

Bemstar squealed in laughter as he heard his name. Zero knew now that he can't spend his energy or else he wouldn't be left with anything. "C'mon, monster! If you're so tough, then--!"

Bemstar jumped in the air and started to fly towards Zero, with its horn forwards, trying to impale the Ultra. Zero was quick enough to grab Bemstar's horn and kneed the monster in the jaw. The bird creature continued to screech as its horn sparked yellow. Zero tried to redirect the attack but wasn't fast enough, as he was electrocuted by the lightning.

Zero coughed and screamed in pain, but Bemstar continued by ramming him into a large building. His body smashed into the building, causing debris toppled down onto the street below and near smaller houses and buildings. Zero groaned, "This monster is a real pain..."

He was right as the bird creature came up to him and charged up his horn. Zero, who was kneeling, looked up in time as he concentrated his energy on his head.

"Emerium Slash!"

The beam countered the horn blast, causing their beams to clash against each other. They both fought to push their attack beams to their opponent's side.