{ Chapter Three }

All I could hear was my heart splintering. Ringing in my ears came next. My eyes seemed to make everything go too vivid.

"What?"

My grandma, whose wrinkly face was saturated in tears spoke up,

"when he was young he was diagnosed with brain cancer. It eventually stopped, but it came again." She paused staring at nothing definite.

We stared at her for a few seconds until she stared again,

"he told me at the beginning of August, that time it wasn't too bad. I suggested he go see a doctor but he rebuffed it. Said it go away like last time. Stupid man"

I felt tears coming but I held them back, I knew she didn't mean, the last part. She was just too worried,

"you said he found out the beginning of August, it's October now."

She looked up at me a sad frown on her enfeebled face,

"you've kept this from me two months." I said, my voice convulsing. She shook her head.

"I'm so sorry Avonie. We should've told you the minute we found out. But what was the point, your grandfather didn't believe it so why should you?"

For once, I didn't mind that someone called me by my real name grief took over my mind, leaving no room for anything else. Mr. Hale spoke up,

"his surgery is scheduled tomorrow."

Oh, great. I don't even get time to adjust. And I needed time.

"Okay."

That's all I said, I was too unnerved to say more.

________________

All day I was even increasingly introverted than I was as usual. I disregarded all the snarky comments Esperanza threw at me. I was too jaded to even care. On the way home I passed the library. I stooped in my tracks, my ears wouldn't pick up any noise so it was just me and my depressing, clouded thoughts.

I stepped through the entry and was taken aback. The aroma of books glided into my nose. But only for a nanosecond did it comfort me as it generally did. Crestfallen with the hope of tranquility, I left the public space and hurried home. Once on the porch I unlaced the door from its frame and scurried into the house. I inaudibly tiptoed to my grandparents room and saw my grandmother asleep on the bed.

Abounding mourning nagged at me. I walked up to her and pulled the covers over her stomach. I went out the room and looked around at the empty house. Silence. It was the first time I realized that silence was loud in itself. A sudden idea hit me. I ran out of the house. Slamming the door fortuitously. I sprinted, all the way to the hospital that held my grandfather.

_______________

"Um, hello. Uh... I'm here for Frank Carter."

The nurse at the desk replied, "and he's your?..."

"Grandfather. He's my grandfather"

she looked up and smiled at me. 'I don't even think she knows what's wrong with him,' I said into my thoughts.

"Follow me then."

I trailed in behind her as she led me in deeper into the hospital, for me it was like a maze. My bad memories here made me fearful of this place. I shook the bad thought from my mind and focused on the main problem.

"You know, Frank is one heck of a patient, kept telling the doctors he's fine and that he didn't have cancer,"

The nurse chuckled and stopped at room 327, she stepped to the side, making room for me to go in, I pushed the door forward. I saw him, laying motionless on the bed, the T.V. was on I saw his open eyes, I threw my arms over him. He was surprised for a second until he saw that it was me. I felt his arm go around me,

"oh god grandpa. Why the hell didn't you go see a doctor right away?"

I let him go staring at him sternly.

He only smiled and said, "you sound like your mother."

I shifted on my feet feeling awkward now that he mention her. I was too young to remember how she died but my grandpa told me when I was just starting fifth grade.

"Well mom would say the same thing, so why didn't you go see one? Grandma is dehydrating herself from crying all of her fluids out, and you scared both of us."

He sighed, "I know, and I'm sorry. I thought sickness was no match for me, but I'm starting to think it will be the reason I'll pass."

"Grandpa. Don't talk like that,"

it was hard to keep calm, but I've had my lifetime to practice, it was my natural instincts,

"you're gonna be fine."

he smiled a toothy grin and shook his head,

"you're too smart for that Avonie. I know you know that I won't make it. Especially with my age."

My mouth flew open, "first of all- "

He cut me off, "you should go home now, it's getting late and I don't want you walking home alone in the dark."

I retreated with what I was going to say.

"Okay. But I'll visit tomorrow, I promise. Along with grandma as well,"

he nodded, and turned off the television. I saw him closing his eyes as I left the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~
[ A/N ]
Hello. So I uploaded this on a Monday, but I thought it was a Saturday, so I told myself I would start chapter three Sunday. That was the plan until I figured out it wasn't Saturday. But whatever. Thanks for all the reads, it's not as mush as others, but I still appreciate everyone. Thanks you so much <3

- Stachys