{ Chapter Four }

I swear I am gonna die of the dullness of the waiting room. It was grandpas surgery day, and me and grandma had to wait for the outcome. Boredom was eating me alive.

"I'm gonna go outside for a few minutes. I just need some fresh air," I said, grandma nodded her head, signifying that it was okay.

I walked out the door, my dark inky hair bouncing behind me. The sulfuric smell of gas form cars made me scrunch up my nose. I sat down at the edge of the sidewalk,

if grandpa doesn't make it what happened will happen then? He was he only one working in he family.

I disregarded all the unhappy thoughts in my head, and tried to centralize my thought to rapturous things. With that being a idiosyncratic attempt, I just pulled out a book and read, allowing my legs to stretch out. I was in perfect amity until I felt I felt my shins being slightly pushed forward. I looked up in stupefaction, wondering what happened. My head tilted down, I saw a boy, about the same age as me, sprawled on the floor.

"Oh gosh! I'm really sorry," I said, trying to sound apologetic.

I bent down to help him, instead he just shoot back up, and ran, not even looking back at me.

"Well, you're welcome," I said dully, standing up in the process.

I walked back to the hospital, my mind still on the boy. I shook it off my head. It really wasn't a topic I needed to worry about anyways.

Right when I sat down I asked, "how much longer?"

Grandma looked up at me with disconsolate eyes, "a few hours left I think."

I nodded my head, slumping into my chair.

"If you want, you can head home early. I'll call you when there's only a few hours left in the operation."

I was frozen and words as hard to catch, her words had me apprehensive,

"are you sure? I don't mind staying..." The last part was a lie, but the idea of leaving grandma here by herself and her thoughts worried me.

But then again, you do get some time alone.

A small, but compelling voice inside me picked at my head.

I thought for another moment, "sure. I'll see you later." I waved her a goodbye and left.

____________

Walking back to the house was already as enervating alone, I quickened my pace, wanting to get home. Once on the front door, I weakly sighed, pulling out the keys and drawing them into the hole. As soon as the door opened, I felt a cold hand on my shoulder. I jumped back in surprise, I searched around until I found the owner of the hand. I saw the same boy who tripped on my foot earlier, his sandy brown hair mundane to me.

"Oh. It's you,"

I turned my back at him, I stepped inside until he spoke,

"wait!" He said. I looked at him.

"Sorry for not apologizing earlier. I was in a rush, but thanks. Anyways. I appreciated it, even if I didn't show it to you before."

I shrugged, "well just watch out next time okay?" I said slightly aggregated.

"Oh, yeah sure."

I closed the door and dragged myself up the stairs. When finally inside my room, my knees buckled and gave in. I fell on my bed. Finally getting some sleep.

With no disruptions, sleep lulled into my body, almost comatosely.

_________

The abhorrent sound of my phone ringing woke me up.

"Hmm?" I said into it,

"Avonie, the surgery is almost done, about an hour or half at the least." Grandma said as I rubbed the sleepiness out of my eyes,

"okay. I'll be there soon."

I hung up. I stayed in the same position until I bullied my brain into getting up. Not even slightly caring about my appearance, I simply got up and left the house.

Reuniting with the very lighthearted, joyous, ecstatic building of the hospital.

(Please not the sarcasm in the previous sentence.)

I sat down next to grandma and held her hand and spoke to her,

"it'll be okay. Grandpa will make it."

She nodded her head, not looking at me. Frankly, I was only trying to convince myself. What grandpa said yesterday, was still implanted in my brain. No matter how many times I tried shaking it off, it would always be there to scare me later. After a bundle of minutes had passed, grandma shook my shoulder. I immediately snapped awake.

"What?"

She looked at a man just coming out of the doors. He was wearing scrubs and a hat that scrunched around your head, like a hairnet.

"He's our doctor."

~~~~~~~~~~~

DUN DUN DUUUNNNN!!! Cliffhanger! Anyways, this chapter is a little late, I haven't really been in the writing mood lately. This chapter isn't the best tbh. But it will get better!

- Stachys