Ch 3 ~ Esmeralda

I trot around impatiently. Where is Elena? "When do you think she is coming?" I ask my horse.

My horse Auqamoon snorts, probably demanding another carrot. I roll my eyes, but I reach into my pocket and feed her. As she munches, I wistfully wonder how my sister is feeling. "Wait. Is that her?" I say. "Oh, that's Saga."

Saga Sparrowdawn is a good friend of mine, but she has a tendency to get distracted by all the critters in Jorvik. She spots me and waves. "Hey Es! Oh, oh, oh! A squirrel!"

I wave back, but my thoughts are on Elena. Where is she?

After a few minutes of waiting, I spot her riding on a brown horse. She looks confused. Also kinda silly, in that dressage tack.

"Howdy, Elena!" I yell. Her face brightens. "Es!"

She gallops to me, her brown hair flying in the wind. When she reaches me, we both jump off our horses. I tackle her in a hug. She pulls herself away from me. "I have so many questions! Why are you wearing Western tack-Mom would hate that- Why do you smell like skunk? Wait-YOU HAVE A WESTERN ACCENT??"

"Okay, okay, calm down," I reply, "I'll try to answer as best as I can!"

Elena puts her hands on her hips "Oh yeah? Well start explaining!"

I take a deep breath, inhaling the scent of Fort Pinta. Ah, the beach. "Well, I used to live in Moorland, then I moved to Fort Pinta, and then I moved back again."

"So? That doesn't explain anything! "

I ignore her comment, and continue talking.

"So, this guy-Josh- told me about a western camp that's happening at Starshine Ranch."

"Okay."

"So, even though Mom probably wouldn't like it, I still decided to go."

I shift my feet, and continue talking.

"I realized that the western life was meant for me. I decided to move to Starshine ranch."

"But- our family is descended from dressage riders!" Elena gestured to her tack. "And western riding is as far as you can get from dressage!"

"Exactly. That's why I haven't been telling Mom or you about my life here. Mom would kill me!"

"Huh. Okay. I understand, but what about the skunk?"

I smile. "Wolves."

"Like that explains anything!" Elena huffed. "Plus- Wolves don't smell like skunk!"

"Well, yeah, but Starshine ranch has a wolf problem, so we use Beast Repellent. It smells like skunk, so the wolves don't go near it."

"Oh, I guess that makes sense."

"I know. that's why I use it." I say in mock serious tones. I shove Elena playfully. "C'mon! Wanna race?"