Sir. Percival

The sight before him berated his heart.

She was peeved, it was written all over her alluring face.

She looked at him like prey to its predator... with pure malice and repulsion.

Like how the servants were known to look at their masters when they weren't paying attention.

Sir. Percival could not help his anguish.

"Rose, please. I apologize. I don't know what had gotten into me. I want to explain myself but I can't... Please believe me. I would never do that to you."

Pure hostility sheltered the girl's eyes as she listened to him spew utter fiction.

What did he mean he would never do it? He had done it and she'd witnessed it. It angered her more that he could not own up to his betrayal.

"But you did, Percival. You lied to him about us, I know you did."

Because of what he told the Prince, she'd lost her greatest love and accomplice.

The lowlife girl didn't have proof of the deception but she knew whatever he'd told Edward was conceived to break them apart.

It was the only way she could explain the uncontrollable anger the Prince had.

She didn't know the royal boy to be so fickle.

She'd seen him go through the most challenging of circumstances yet still remained poised... nothing could break him, or at least that was what she'd previously thought.

When he kneeled before her and couldn't even look into her eyes, her heart broke for him. She never wanted to be the reason he lost himself.

It didn't matter that she didn't have the security he provided her before she was cast off, she cared more for his wellbeing. For his heart.

He was so strong until it came to her and she knew that.

And if he was told the truth about what really happened, he wouldn't have reacted the way he did. He would've understood it was only a conversation. She'd been sad and lonely and Percival was the only person to show her kindness during that difficult time.

But the imposter who still sat imprisoned in front of her took his deception to great lengths. Evidently.

"... and then you tried to kill me. You were about to kill me, Percival."

Her heart constricted.

"No."

Tears threatened to leave the former Knight's eyes as he denied her claim. But that only angered the homeless girl more.

"Yes you were. I saw you. It was dark but I saw you, Percival."

Her voice increased its tone with every word.

It wasn't enough to have her thrown out of the castle and take away her dignity, he wanted to take her life too.

If it weren't for the stranger who'd heroically saved her, she would've perished, that was certain. The dagger had been facing her chest. She was looking death right in the eye.