VII} Relive this life

Dorothea could not believe boys were capable of being this shy and sweet. At first, Isambard couldn't even bring himself to look at her, as if he was a child trying to look at the sun; he looked everywhere but at her. 

Her joke had made him comfortable and with a chuckle, he sat beside her in the car and very bravely, met her amused glance. Dorothea however was knocked out by the overflowing depth of his eyes. His eyes, like hers, were a stormy grey behind which lay a thousand emotions. Dorothea just couldn't find the words to explain how she felt like she had some kind of ancient connection with him. She lost all the humour she had just a minute before and was almost lost in his eyes when he spoke again.

"I brought you this," he said shyly and handed a paper bag to her.

Quickly, she opened what was inside to find a hairpin- with emeralds shaped like flowers. She looked at him in disbelief and he gave her an unsure smile. She couldn't help herself anymore. She just hugged him then and there. Then she started the car and with a flustered half-cough, began driving. 

They drove to a theatre. She looked over at Isambard to see his reaction, after all, not everyone liked musicals. She was surprised to find that he had been looking at her the whole time. He looked away with a start when she turned but then turned back again. They went up to the ticket booth where Dorothea produced the two tickets. Isambard, now out of his blissful daze, was thankfully more attentive.

"So what is this musical about?" He asked her as they walked up to the food stall. He bought two soda bottles and some popcorn to share. 

"It's about a spy who falls in love with the Queen he has been assigned to kill but the plot twist is that he decides to kill her after all because duty comes first. It is nothing professional. This musical was the winner of the state musical competition. People do such things when they can't do much about their lives" Dorothea remarked.

"I don't know whether to be impressed by the spy's dutifulness or his sacrifice but your observation is certainly true- people are turning to music, dance, all these different kinds of entertainment really, just to distract themselves from the real problem"

Dorothea smiled in response. Not many men willingly admit that a girl is right.

They got good seats as they had reached quite early. Isambard was enchanted by the whole performance. He understood why people were so eager to spend their money on these distractions. He also had to admit that each actor and singer was doing an outstanding job. Once the musical was over, Dorothea insisted on going backstage and meeting the performers.

"These are not famous people. The audience doesn't care about them, but that is quite shameful. These performers were so talented... they too deserve some praise" Dorothea reasoned and Isambard being the gentleman he was, agreed to join her.

Soon, both Dorothea and Isambard were friends with the cast. They decided to meet sometime and share some food and thoughts. After spending some time with them, they both drove back to the academy. 

"So, what do you think of me now that you've met me?" she asked Isambard.

Most people were repelled by the mere thought of a headstrong girl with a loud opinion and sharp features. Dorothea was not what one would call a gentlewoman. Isambard was the peak of morality and manners whereas she opposed everything that did not seem logical to her. It was only fair to give Isambard a chance. Maybe he had changed his mind too and if he had, she would like to know it now, before her hopes became too high. 

Isambard replied with a wistful smile "You remind me of every beautiful thing I've seen till now. You make me want to relive this life."