Lesson Number 6

Lesson Number 6, Never let your guard down.

There will be times when you feel safe and secure at peace even, in your home, with your family and friends. But even in these times, never let your guard down, anything can happen at any moment to ruin your sense of peace, and destroy you emotionally or physically.

—----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's Monday Night, and several days after I found out Rico's true feelings, and although I'm glad to know he feels this way about me, I'm terrified.

That night he asked me on a date, promising to explain everything to me then, and thanking him for trusting me on this. Normally I wouldn't condone any man, period. But I feel different with him, and although it does scare me, it's also exhilarating.

So now Kehlani and I are standing in my closet trying to find something suitable for my date tomorrow.

"Are you excited?" Kehlani asks, she has a wary look on her face.

"I'm nervous," I say honestly because she would sense if I was lying within seconds and call me on my bullshit. "But I'm also excited" I state simply.

She stares off into space at my closet for moments before saying, "Just be careful, I know you don't want me saying this again, but Josh wasn't too long ago and I don't want you rushing into things if you're not ready."

"Kehlani, as bad as it feels to say, I'm ready. I've been ready, as much as I loved Joshua I was never there fully, I could never seem to love him as deeply as I should've."

"But I feel ready. And I'm willing to try something new, especially with Rico."

"Even if it breaks lesson 2?" She asks hypocritically. "Even though I've repeatedly broke lesson 2, yes."

She's still staring deeply into the closet, "Kehlani, what's wrong?" "Nothing I just don't want this to end badly, and you end up hurt" she pauses "You don't know him well, so don't let your guard down yet."

"I won't, I promise." She makes me pinky promise to ensure my emotional safety before asking "Where is the hottie taking you anyway? What should we be looking for?"

I explain that I honestly have no idea, he won't tell me. He said to wear something pretty and walkable, which the choices are limitless so that didn't narrow it down.

He insisted it be a surprise when I asked him again this morning, I hate surprises.

After another fifteen minutes, I come across a white sundress, it's mid length, and skin-tight, with ruffles at the bottom. I try it on and am amazed that it holds my boobs without a bra. I think this is it, Kehlani finds me a brown leather purse, and matching sandals with a slight heel, throw in a few pieces of jewelry and this is the fit.

We burst into a laughing fit at the thought of me going on a date. It's normally an outrageous thought, but now it's reality. And to celebrate we open a new bottle of wine, and binge our show.

—---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Riccardo is picking me up at noon, so I have less than two hours to get ready. I spend the time showering, lathering myself in my signature lotion, making my makeup pristine as can be, and getting dressed.

I make sure to fluff my hair as much as possible and add an absurd amount of lipgloss. Next thing I know the doorbells ringing. Shit.

It's Rico and gods he looks gorgeous, it takes me a moment to remember I should open the door. When I do, I'm dumbfounded, when has a guy ever made me dumbfounded, double shit.