11. deja vu

୨ৎ ꒰ deja vu꒱ ୨ৎ

.୨ৎ ꒰ deja vu꒱ ୨ৎ.

every willow's shift at the veranda, the country club's dining restaurant, started the same.

she would get it and greet her co-workers, change into that night cocktail dress, and warm up her voice in the staff bathroom.

by the time she would charmingly enter the little stage, the first notes of "theme for new york" by frank sinatra were playing. she liked to play that song first because it felt like a greeting hug for the audience, to welcome them into the restaurant for that night.

even though most of the customers wouldn't even notice her, willow put her mind and soul into her performance every night, because she didn't want to disappoint those who actually listened to her.

with her soul and deep voice, she could mesmerize everyone.

in the room, you could hear the voices of the customers and the thunderous laughter of those who had already exaggerated with the wine. going to the veranda when they were kids, susannah always asked to reserve a table on the deck, willow's favorite place.

it was covered by a roof of thin reeds, lighted by small, softly little bulbs hanging from strings attached to the rafters, suspended like fireflies. you could see and hear the sea. willow liked to watch the last people who left the beach, reddened by the sun and tired from doing nothing.

it was all so quiet and relaxed in cousins, everyone took it easy, and nobody rushed anyone.

the piano was near the roof-to-ceiling windows, so everyone could hear her, inside and outside. she had her laptop with some tracks near her and there was a mic with a stool in front of the piano.

singing and playing the piano had always been something comforting for her, a way to escape their problems.
she would sing to her mom when she was sick, with conrad when she couldn't sleep, and to jeremiah when they were bored.

for willow, it was a string that connected her to each one of her family members.
even her dad liked when she played for him.

the moms and the kids were sitting at a table on the deck, and that night was a big one for steven, because he invited shayla to have dinner with them, since laurel wanted to meet the girl her son was escorting to the deb ball.

steven's hand was covering shayla's, who was politely answering the moms' questions in her lovely british accent.

willow was smiling at them back every time she looked at their table, but she was upset. shayla being introduced to everyone meant that she had to actually go to the ball with harry.

halfway through the evening, she felt like she couldn't handle that anymore. god, she was so pretty.

she used to play the same songs every night, as her boss wanted, but she could choose one extra song to play each evening, whatever she wanted.

she needed to calm down, so she started playing her extra song earlier than usual.

"car ride to malibu strawberry ice cream, one spoon or two"

her voice was flawless, an angelic sound. it was a very high-pitched song for her, something in her head told her it was the right choice for that night.

"she thinks it's special, but it's all reused"

sparing a glance at their table, she could tell every kid understood what she was referring to while singing. and shayla didn't look much pleased.

"playing her piano but she doesn't know, that i was the one who taught you billie joel" steven's jaw almost dropped.
her "musical" string with him, was playing uptown girl on rainy days.

"a different girl, but there's nothing new, i know you get deja vu "

she was admitting she wished she was her.

"i know you get deja vu"

she was admitting out loud her feelings for him.

"i know you get deja vu"

she sighed playing the last notes. shayla was walking out of the restaurant; steven stood up, made eye contact with willow, not knowing what to do, sighed, and then walked out too. laurel seemed pretty proud of willow, while the others around the table couldn't really believe what she did. it wasn't a willow thing.

"shit, i love you" she whispered on the microfone.

⭑○◦

"have you seen harry?" willow, her hair slicked back in a high ponytail and the fund raising tournament t-shirt on, was worried.

every debutante had to take part in a fundraising activity in order to take part in the ball, it was mandatory, and she chose the beach volley tournament. harry was her partner, they were meant to play the tournament and then have their date on his boat.

but apparently, he forgot about the tournament, and willow was without a partner.

"don't worry honey, i'm sure he will come"

"god, i knew it wasn't a good idea" she sighed, sitting on the bench. she looked at jeremiah with the most "it's not the right moment" glance when he offered him a sip of his slushy.

"the tournament is about to begin! every debutante must be in their assigned court before the referee's whistle" susannah voice echoed. she was standing near the prizes table since she was the one who every year set up the fundraising tournament.

you could play to raise money for homelessness, women's shelters, environmental causes, and many more.

after a little speech, it was time to play. "let the game begins!" susannah shouted.

"shit, shit, shit" willow whispered. she didn't want to play with her brothers, also because she knew taylor, who came to play the tournament with belly, had a plan to make jeremiah belly's partner.

she took jere's slushy and took a sip, nervously. "ew, it's too sugary" she handed it back to him.

"what are you going to do?" conrad asked.

steven walked toward them. "i'll sub for harry"

 "i'll sub for harry"

AUTHOR'S CORNER !

10k reads? y'all crazy, love you so much, thank you !!
lot of love, ari