Chapter 9

Jayfeather looked around at the landscape on the other side of the Windclan border, questioning why any cat would live here "it has no cover from the wind, rain, or the sun." He said to himself "well it might not seem natural to you, it's just like we are one with our land as you are ours Jayfeather." A voice said which made his pelt spike as he turned "What in Starclan?! You can see?" The surprised voice belonged to Kestralflight, the handsome medicine cat that if he became a warrior, she-cats would be fighting just to have a good conversation with him. "I'm asked all the time if I will ever become a warrior and I tell the she-cats I became a medicine cat to heal not harm." Jayfeather remembers Kestralflight saying as he greets the WindClan medicine cat. "I'm here to see Crowfeather, I want to talk to him about something." Jayfeather says to Kestralflight "I'm guessing you want him to see you, right?" Kestralflight asked Jayfeather.

The ThunderClan cat shook his head, "It's a personal thing especially for him." Kestrelflight nodded and went back to the camp, returning with Crowfeather and Nightcloud who were on edge when they saw Jayfeather staring at them "Crowfeather." He paused and then shook his head and smiled at him. "Father, you and I both know that you wish you were with Leafpool, don't deny it." Jayfeather said with deep seriousness. "I have no other sons or a daughter." Crowfeather said, looking right into Jayfeather's eyes, trying not to shake while seeing the ThunderClan cat staring right back at him with a bit more anger shown through his eyes.

 "Go Crowfeather, find her and apologize or even join ThunderClan." Nightcloud said, "You and I both know that we were never really together, if you don't believe that then look at Breezepelt, he's nothing like you or me when we were younger." Jayfeather, who was curious, closed his eyes and went into both of the WindClan cats' memories. "I'm happy you chose me but you Clan needs you Leafpool, I understand that you have your reasons and I have mine." Crowfeather said to a very sad looking Leafpool "I'm sorry Crowfeather but my Clan needs me, you heard Midnight, My Clan is in trouble." She said with what seemed to be grief in her voice.

 "I understand Leafpool, you don't need to apologize for your Clan asking you to do your duty," Crowfeather paused and walked slowly up to her with a very large emotion in his eyes, love was in their eyes "I will always love you Leafpool, remember that" Crowfeather told her before nuzzling her nose and walking away calmly but with tears running down his face as a white void surrounded him and he was then in a grassy field seeing two cats right in front of him "Crowfeather I know you are in grief, you are in pain" a female voice said, "I want to help you with that grief, to try to give you happiness." The voice of Nightcloud said,

 "I understand that I can't be the one for you but I will try." Crowfeather looked at Nightcloud and nodded only saying three words before the void filled Jayfeather's vision "Thank you, Nightcloud." Jayfeather was surprised at how calm there were "something must have made them feel this hostile towards any cat" he said to himself as he watched three other cats walk up to the border Breezepelt, Onestar, and Ashfoot "HOLY STARCLAN, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH JAYFEATHER?" Ashfoot yowled as she looked at him with scared eyes. "It's Jayfeather, he told us that he was able to get new eyes but I'm not sure why." Crowfeather said "You all remember Briarlight " Jayfeather asked as all the cats sat down and nodded and Jayfeather explained what has happened and what he's been through.

 "She wanted me to get new eyes to be happy and I wanted her to be happy" He said finishing off the explanation, the other cats were surprised that Jayfeather wasn't angry, annoyed, or upset, he was calm and happy. Finally Crowfeather stood up and nodded and headed over ThunderClan's border as Nightcloud and Breezepelt, Nightcloud watching with a small smile and Breezepelt not able to react.

 "I know you were never happy with me, but you were too proud to admit that you miss Leafpool. Go to her, live with her, enjoy your life together with your true family. I'll always love you but I'm willing to put myself aside and give you what you need." Nightcloud's words to Crowfeather rang in Jayfeather's ears and he thought to himself "Even though I don't like Breezepelt, I hope Nightcloud can find peace and happiness."

As he and his father approached the camp entrance which was meeted with surprised and confused stares as Lionblaze approached "So this was your idea." He said, greeting the two. Crowfeather looked around and then asked his sons "Where is your mother? I need to know and talk to her." Lionblaze flicked his tail to the entrance "she's on a hunting patrol right now but they should be back in a few minutes." The golden tom said. Crowfeather looked to the entrance as Leafpool's patrol emerged into the camp, seeing Crowfeather sitting there patiently waiting "Crowfeather." she said before pausing.

 "W-What are you doing here? Is WindClan in trouble?" She asked, and to her confusion he shook his head. "Well Our son informed me that his mother was missing her mate" he said with a small smile on his face "What do you mean?" Leafpool asked as she stopped to think about it, her eyes widened with shock and happiness "-you mean you want to leave Windclan, for me?" she said with a skeptical tone, and to her surprise the black tom nodded his head without hesitation.

 Jayfeather, happy with his decisions decided to go to the medicine den to get some peace and quiet, Briarlight followed, curling around the inside of his body to keep herself warm and to keep him company as they slept, a peace that both of them never dreamed they would have.