Chapter 1: The Big Old Apple

***Chapter 1: The Big Old Apple***

            “You’re going to be absolutely marvelous, darling,” Tyler tells me with a grin. I nod my head tentatively, slightly unsure and then out at the cars zooming past us.

            “Everything is riding on this! Henry is counting on me…” I can’t let my dad down, especially not now.

            “Girl, just breath. Everything is going to be fine.” I let take in a breath of fresh air and then roll down the window, basking in the sun as much as I can. I try to smile but it’s hard to when I think about my father getting laid off. He still has to pay the rent, the car insurance; we’re not even done paying off all my college tuition and student loans! Not to mention I’m graduating this Fall.

            “I mean, let’s just that you don’t get this job. There are still plenty more out there, ” he says. I hit my best friend on the arm for his interjection.

            “Owe”, he moans.

            “You’re not helping the situation here.”

            “But Kylie that hurt,” he says like an immature five year-old.

            “Oh, quite being a big baby.” When I look out from the corner of my eye I catch Tyler grinning.

            “I’m about to wipe the smile right off your face,” I tell him.

            “Give me your worst,” he teases. As long as he doesn’t intervene with any negative comments he always knows how to make me feel better, but usually if he does it’s just because he’s teasing me.

            I cannot begin to describe how paranoid I am right now. My heart is practically pounding in my chest.

            The car ride continues with the radio turned down until we pull up in front of a grey 5-story building with lot’s of trees and bushes around it. The area looks nice and there doesn’t seem to be a lot of noise. If there were one place I’d hate to be working at location-wise it would be the city. I cannot handle the traffic and the noise. I especially can’t tolerate the rich people that walk around like they’re so much better than everyone else.

            “Well… let me get one good look at’cha before you head out.” I turn to face Tyler and he examines my appearance. “Hmm.” He licks his figure and then brings it to my face, starting to blot and dap under my eye. I pull away.

            “Stop! What are you doing?” The biggest perfectionist I know is Tyler. If one thing is out of place he’ll put it where it belongs, and if something is wrong he will be the first one to bend over backwards to fix it.

            “Sorry a little mascara smudged,” whilst toying with the hem of my jacket. The best thing about having a gay best friend is that you know they will always be there to make sure you are looking tip-top and at your finest. At this moment I did look really nice. I borrowed my friend Tracey’s dress suit. It fit me real snug and hugged me at my finest angels, not to mention it was black. I love wearing clothes that are black. The baby blue blouse I had underneath was peaking out the top and the buttons were designed with little baby roses on them. I even borrowed a pair of Tracey’s nude heels as well. They really complimented the tight-waisted skirt I had on.

            I should definitely feel more confident for a girl that has just spent the last five days rehearsing what I was going to say to Dr. Greg Stonebridge.