Chapter 1

JESSICA

I tossed my textbook onto the mahogany coffee table with an exasperated sigh. "I can't do this Luke, this shit is too hard." I complained and rolled my eyes in an almost over exaggerated motion as I pushed my fading purple hair out of my eyes. Luke stifled a small laugh.

"Jess, you're so unreasonable. Math is quite simple." He told me matter of factly as he pushed his subscription glasses further up the bridge of his nose the dimple in the left side of his face popped in as he mocked me. I rolled my eyes once again.

"Yeah, for you it is. All you do is math." I pointed out, rolling my eyes once again, he shut his textbook and placed it on top of mine on the table and I stood up from the old but sturdy couch. I walked out of my living room and into the kitchen, Luke followed me, straightening out his tan khakis before appearing in the kitchen, he leaned on his elbows against the counter top as I opened the fridge.

"I don't just do math, I write English essays, chemistry equations and research for history class as well, of course." He nodded proudly and I pulled a carton of orange juice out of the fridge.

"You're lucky you have me or you wouldn't have any social life at all." I told him and shrugged with a small laugh before his eyes moved to watch me place two cups down on the black based marble stone on the counter. "Do you want some?" I asked, pouring my glass.

"Oh, no no. I haven't digested a large enough lunch meal to have such an acidic beverage and I'd rather not have an upset stomach." He smiled and I rolled my eyes before finishing my own drink. I would've thought by then I would be used to his academically informative remarks but I still found them just as annoying as I had when I was twelve.

We had been friends since we were very young, Luke and I. Although we were so different and always have been it just sort of worked. I looked over at him from the kitchen sink as I rinsed out my glass, if he wasn't such a dorky push-over, people would probably find his height intimidating. I'm guessing he stood at at least six foot two but then again I'm not too good with my math. My eyes diverted to his blue checkered sweater and he raised an eyebrow at me.

"What?" He asked.

"Isn't it a little too warm for a sweater?" I counteracted his question with another one.

"No, it's quite comfortable weather to wear one actually, I checked the forecast before I left the house this morning." He stated with a small nod.

"Of course you did." I said and began walking out of the kitchen and down the hallway to my bedroom, in which Luke comfortably followed close behind.

"So if you're done studying for today we could pick it up tomorrow sometime. I'm free after 10am." Luke suggested but I shook my head as I walked over to my closet and began looking through it as Luke sat on my black bed sheets, the purple of the walls the same shade as my hair.

"No I can't do tomorrow." I told him flatly and he tilted his head to the side with furrowed brows and he asked me why. I laughed to myself at the way his gelled down, blond hair contrasted with the dark decor of my room before answering his question. "Because I'm going to be hungover tomorrow. Michael's having a party tonight and I'm going." I smiled as the boys name fell from my mouth. Michael was possibly the hottest guy on the history of the planet, second to only Billie Joe Armstrong from the band Green Day. He was only a year older than Luke and I, a senior and I'd had a crush on him since the first day of freshman year.

Luke rolled his eyes at the mention of his name. "Of course you are." He stated before continuing. "Can I go?" He asked.

I almost chocked on my own breath as he asked me, I let out a laugh before turning to face him. "You're kidding me right?" I asked with wide eyes.