Chapter IV

I wake up to someone banging at the door. "Open up! We know you're in there!"

I hear the innkeeper with them. "I already told you, there's no one in this room."

"We know you're lying. You've always hidden demis here." The door bursts open.

I stand up ready for a fight. A man in light armor comes in holding a sword. He looks around and stares directly at me.

"I told you, no one here. This room has been vacant for weeks." The innkeeper says.

The guard turns around. "I know they're here."

"If you'd like to check the other rooms, I'd be more than happy to open the doors. Just please don't break anymore."

The guard throws a few pieces of copper on the ground. "Use that to fix the damn door. Open the next door." The guard scoffs, "Filthy demi supporter."

As they walk away, I feel something grab my arm. I look over and nothing is there. I hear Kaori's voice in my ear. "Stay quiet and come with me." I feel her pull at my arm and we walk to the room the innkeeper is opening.

When he opens it he holds it open for a second and looks at us. Kaori pulls me into the room before the innkeeper steps in and says to the guest, "The guards are looking for someone. I apologize for the inconvenience." He steps back and lets the guard in.

"Damn it. Next room, Now!" They walk out and the innkeeper shuts the door.

As soon as the door shuts Kaori appears next to me. "What the hell was that?" I ask her.

"Stay quiet until the guards leave."

The guest looks at us and shakes his head, almost like he's used to this.

After a few minutes, the innkeeper comes back into the room, his human illusion lifted. "They're gone." He looks at the guest. "Sorry about that, the nights on me." He waves for us to come with him.

While we walk out, I ask them both, "Is someone going to tell me what the hell just happened?"

The innkeeper brings us to a table in the back of the lobby. "Isn't it obvious? I used my illusion to make it appear as though the room was empty, Then let you both into the next room so you wouldn't be found when I lifted the spell."

The guest comes to the lobby. "That's the third time this month. Don't they ever give up?" He looks at Kaori. "What did you do this time?"

"Believe it or not, it wasn't me this time." She nods her head towards me. "This guy decided it would be a good idea to attack someone in the street when they grabbed me."

"Look, you guys can talk about me all you want, but I need to know where I can earn some money."

Kaori responds. "The adventurers guild isn't far from here. You could probably get there unnoticed."

"They have a pretty accurate sketch of you. They probably already showed it to every merchant and adventurer in the area. They even have a bounty on you. You really pissed off the wrong person." He shakes his head and sighs. "I don't mind letting you hide out here, but if you go out just know I'll deny you were ever here."

"I don't need protection. How do I get to the adventurer's guild?"

"Turn right when you get outside. There will be a small gap on the right, like the ones we used to get here last night. Turn Left at the next alley and go to the main road. The adventurer's guild is directly across from the alley." Kaori looks at me, concern in her eyes, "Be careful."