Chapter VIII

The trip to the noble's home took about half an hour. When we arrived, it was as beautiful as the rest of the city. A large golden gate stood between us and the house.

"We have brought the man Noble Cheryl requested." Our guard says to the guard at the gate.

The guard nods in response and waves us through.

The gate opens and when we walk through, immediately closes behind us. The walkway to the front door is surrounded by trees and gardens, and a winding river flowing all through the front gardens. The guard guides us through the home and into a large room. It's filled with plants, a few trees, and at least a dozen guards. On the other side of the room, a beautiful woman is sitting there.

She smiles as we walk in and says, "Welcome to my home William."

The guard stops us halfway through the room and he walks up to stand beside her.

"I'm sure my guards told you why you're here."

"Something about yesterday?"

"Give us the room." She tells the guards. They all walk out except the one next to her. She walks up to us. "You intrigue me."

"I'm nothin' special."

"But you are. I just needed to see it for myself. Now, tell me what happened during your fight with the bandits."

What could she want to know that the bandits wouldn't have told her? "I wouldn't be here if you didn't already know."

Kaori grabs my arm. "Answer her."

She smiles at Kaori. "Your injury seems to have healed well."

"It has, thank you."

She looks back at me. "Now, what happened?"

"They attacked. We retaliated. Kaori got hit with a stray arrow. The bowmen were both out so I went for the swordsmen next to protect the merchant. When they were down I took out the leader."

"And what did he say?"

"He called me a monster."

She smiles. "Show me the magic you used."

"I can't." I don't know how. All I know is when I got mad, it happened without me even knowing, just like this morning.

"Don't lie to me."

"I'm not lying. I don't know how. All I know is it happened after Kaori was hit."

"How disappointing." She turns to Kaori. "And what about you? What did you see?

"I was behind the cart after the arrow knocked me down. I didn't see anything."

"Then I have no choice." She turns around and starts to walk away. "I'm sorry. I was hoping it wouldn't come to this." She nods at her guard.

The guard charges at us, drawing his sword. I grab Kaori's sword off her back and step in front of her. Our swords clash. "Not another step."

"Sorry William." He disappears and reappears behind us, a single strike to Kaori.

She collapses. Blood pouring from the cut. I stare as the life drains from her eyes. I turn to Cheryl. "She didn't do anything!"

She smiles. "She had no use to me."

"You bitch!" I charge at her.

"You won't hit me."

"Try me." I get to her and swing the sword, but it stops a few inches from her.

"I told you, you won't hit me."

The guard appears between us. "Your fight is with me."

I look him in the eyes. "You killed her."