Page 69

"No! No, I don't wanna go!" My head spun, looking back at the plan in a form of worry as I watched Ward grab Sarah by the arm aggressively, "he's hurting her."

"What?" They each rushed up to the chain link fence watching, "they're fighting." my eyes widen when Ward wraps around her from behind trying to pick her up and drag her as she screams out almost sobbing, "shit, what do we do?"

"Holy shit," the distance is far but not far enough that we can't somewhat see what's happening, and it's still clear she's protesting loudly, "wait, so she... What? I had no..." The car door shuts and I turn around with furrowed brows, "Hey! What are you doing?"

"John?!" I step forward up behind Pope as he moves forward towards the twinkie, John b starting the engine, "John B. Where are you going?" I'm directly in front of the van staring John down through the windshield with concern and confusion in my eyes as my lips part slightly, "hey! Hey! John B!"

"Hold on! Dude, stop!" The twinkie starts moving, John's foot no doubt has become full lead and is pressing the pedal down into the floorboard hard as he speeds right for the fence. My face turns into shock as he speeds up fast enough that I have to move out of the way as much as I can. The van barreling forward towards me as JJ panics and rushes forward to wrap his arms around my waist and pull me out of the way completely as Pope yells, "don't be a hero, dude! John B!"

JJ's back hits the grass first as I land on top of him, the chain link fence mowed down by the front of the van as it barely misses us, "what are you doing? John B!"

"What are you doing, man? Come back!" My ears are ringing as JJ's grip tightens, his legs propped up as I breathe heavy in my own panic, curled onto my side, against his chest as he sits us up and we look off at John B's path across the runway, "fuck, are you okay?" I breathed heavily, nodding as I swallowed and looked off at the speeding van, "yeah...are you."

"Yeah, yeah..." His breathing was hard as he rested his forehead against my collarbone for a moment in the commotion, moving away as I stood up and grabbed his hand to pull him up, subtly making sure he wasn't injured from falling back so hard in some way.

He stood, squeezing my hand as he looked down at me, our eyes shifting away at the distant screeching halt of tires.

"Oh my god..."

John B had pulled before the plane, stopped before the plane, the aircraft was only speeding up as Kiara let out a sob. My mouth dropped in stunned silence as JJ pulled me back against his chest, Pope covering his and Kiara's eyes from what was going to happen. I choked on words as my eyes burned becoming teary as I turned myself away, hiding my face against the blondes chest. His cheek pressed and lay sideways against the crown of my head with his eyes clenched as tight as my hands were clenched against his shirt.

We waited, all of us, for the sound of heartbreak and loss to reach us but seconds later there was nothing but birds and wind filling our ears where there should have been metal clashing and tires popping.

It was me who looked first and breathed a sigh of relief as the tears cleared up, "he's okay," Kie and Pope pulled away relieved, moving towards the open area where the fence was ripped apart by the van. I could feel the relief pouring into me and the sigh that came from JJ as his grip on me softened, loosening as he kissed the top of my head before letting me go.

Sniffling, I moved towards Pope and Kiara with him at my heel, but sirens stopped both of us and I froze, thinking as Pope spoke with concern, "Guys, I can't get arrested." Pope was right, none of us could afford it, "if you get arrested they might recharge you..." I whispered looking back at JJ, the possibility of Mrs. Thorton taking advantage of the situation even with the blackmail had my skin crawling.

"Look, we're no good if we're all in jail, come on." JJ's jaw clenched at Kiara's words but he grabbed my hand pulling me along with him as Pope and her ran off ahead of us back into the trees to find the backroads we entered the area at.