Unfinished Business

"Yoooooooo"  Chris said once he pulled into my drive-way. "You beat her ass, Nell", Miracle said "I didn't know you had it in you", Bubba said as we were walking into my house. "I feel bad" I said. "Don't" they all said in unison. "I try to tell people that you're a fighter, Nell. That's why we're best friends" I laughed, "That's not me" I said with my lips poked out. "You right, you too cute to be fighting, look at yo lip" Chris said, staring down at me, then kissing me.  It was the best kiss ever, I melted under his soft touch,  first he pecked me on the lips, then his full lips engulfed mine, he pulled me closer to him, so close that I just adjusted my legs and I was in his lap. He moved his lips from my mouth and trailed kisses along my jawline, down to my ear. He began nibbling on my ear as I played with his curly hair. "You know that's turning me on, right?" Chris breathed into my ear, I just giggled. He moved from my ear and traced his tongue down to my neck, I giggled some more, and continued to play with his hair with my head back to give him better access to my neck. "I think you trying to turn me on" he said out of no where, I laughed out loud, "I'll stop", I said, and got off of him. He tried to pull me back down, but I ran to the other side of the living room.

He got up to come after me, "Chris, must we play?" I said, trying to be serious, "We all know you're not going to catch me" "Is that right? "he asked walking closer to me. "Yup, I'm a track star, baby... you not catching ME.", I said taking a step back, and trying not to laugh. But, before I realized it he was getting closer, I looked around to find a quick escape, and I headed for the kitchen. I ran as fast as I could to the kitchen, while looking back to make sure Chris couldn't catch me, and I ended up running into the refrigerator. SMACK, THOMP! Was all I heard, then I was on the floor "Oh, shit" Chris said from the kitchen door. "CHANEL!", he screamed my name, but my head was ringing. I was fine, there was just this annoying ringing noise in my head "CHANEL, WHAT THE HELL!", this time the person calling my name was Miracle. "Stop yelling at me, damn" I said, attempting to get up, but I lost my balance as soon as I tried to pick myself up. "Oh my GOD!", Miracle yelled, being extra as usual.  "I'm okay, y'all, I didn't even fall hard" I said trying to convince everyone that I was fine. "Just let me lay here, I won't go to sleep, I promise"  "Y'all what if she got a concussion" Bubba said, sounding real stupid.

A few moments later I felt someone pick me up "What you doing?" I said, knowing exactly who it was. Chris sat me up on the couch, and he sat right next to me. "The ringing stopped" I said a little while later, I just got a little headache "You okay?" Chris asked, "You ain't sleepy or nothing, are you?" he said again, before I could answer his first question. "I'm okay Chris, and no I'm not sleepy... just, hungry" "Me too", Miracle said. "Lets go eat", the guys said.

"Okay, what y'all want?" Chris asked. "NOT pizza", Bubba said from the backseat. "What other restaurants do you have a ratchet girlfriend at, we should try to avoid those places"  I said, laughing at him. "Who said she was my girlfriend?", he asked with a frown. I shrugged.

They decided that were going to eat at  Applebee's. I was quite in the car, I just sat there thinking about how close Chris and I were before he moved. He was my first boyfriend, we did everything together. He would come over my house after school, and my mom would fix us snacks, while my dad helped us with our homework. That year I lost everyone, my dad and Chris's dad were "partners", and they both went to prison that year, Chris and his mom moved away. We were closer than Miracle and I, it was like we were inseparable. We had been inseparable since the day I was born, Chris was one year older than me. When my dad went to prison, it was different than when Chris's dad went to prison, because he could still go and see his father, but my dad got deported. Yup, he's in prison all the way in Kingston, Jamaica.  

"Chanel", "Damn, Nell What's wrong with you?" Miracle asked. "Nothing, I was just thinking" I said, then I looked up, they were all out of the car and on the passenger side , waiting on me to get out of the car. I unhooked my seatbelt and got out of the car, they were just staring at me "Damn, come on, what y'all looking at?" I asked with a bit of an attitude. They just stared, Bubba was the first to break the silence. "Aight, come on she okay" he said, and turned to walk into the restaurant.

When we walked in it was packed, why would they decide to Applebee's on a Saturday night? I asked myself. Of course, we had a thirty minute wait. There was a small space that could fit two people, Bubba sat down, and pulled Miracle in his lap, so there was only room for one person. Chris sat down, and extended his arm for me, "I'd rather stand", I said. Miracle looked at me like I was crazy, and Chris just stood up. "You can sit" he said, and gestured his hand towards the small space on the bench. "I'm good" I stated, and turned the other way. I really had an attitude, now. I don't know what it was, but I think when I fell, I finally realized what was going on. Not only had Chris, my best friend, and ,my first love... at least I think he was my first love, anyway not only did he leave me, but he's been back for over a year now. He promised that he would keep in contact, and he did for the first few months, but now he wants to just be US again, he wants it to be how it used to be, and that is not going to happen. I said it over in over again in my head to make myself believe it, but I knew it wasn't true.  

Thirty minutes later, we were seated at a high table by the bar. "Hi, I'm Dorothy, and I'll be serving you guys today" the waitress said with a smile. This one is friendly I thought to myself. "Do you guys know what you want, or do you need a minute?" she asked. We all looked around at each other, "We're ready now" we said simultaneously. Everyone order there food and drinks then. "You okay?" Chris asked me, while rubbing my thigh up under the table. "Yup" I said while moving his hand and scooting away. "What's wrong with you Chanel?" Miracle asked trying to be calm. "What I do to you?" Chris asked with a concerned look on his face. I hated to see him look like that, but it made me even angrier that after almost four years, he still had this effect on me. It's like I can't stay mad at him, he's so sweet it's crazy, what kind of hold does he have on me? "I promise you" I said, turning towards Chris, "You do not want to talk  about this right now!" I struggled to keep my composure, because so many different feelings were coming up, and all I wanted to do was spaz out on him. He looked so hurt, but screw him, I'm hurt too!