26. Martha's Approval

Sophia had always considered herself a person that didn't wake up early in the morning. She liked the silence of the night better and if it were up to her, she would stay up longer and wake up later. Unfortunately, the world was generally built for the early risers so she had to adjust. On the morning after the fourteenth of February, though, she stirred earlier than she thought. The sheets were soft beneath her cheek, and as she opened her eyes, she was graced with the view of the ocean. She could get used to waking up like this, even though she knew there was probably little chance of her returning to this house any time soon. The sound of soft breaths made her slowly look around, her gaze softening at once as she let her eyes rest on Draco.

They had shared a bed before but not like this. This time, both of them had enough room to move and so, during the night, she had moved to the edge of the bed where she tended to sleep while Draco had remained in the middle, laying on his back as he slept. She smiled to herself as she watched him for a moment before she trailed her gaze to the clock hanging on the wall close to the door. It was a few minutes after seven, and she had no wish to go back to sleep. She snuggled closer to him, pressed a short kiss on his bare shoulder before she rested her head there. As she moved closer, though, he shifted. Sophia watched with wide eyes as he moved his head for a few moments and then opened his eyes. His gaze fell on the clock at once as he reached up to rub his eyes and then he turned to face her. As soon as he noticed she was awake, he offered her a small smile.

"Good morning," he murmured, his voice deep and gruff.

"Good morning," she echoed as she lifted herself up on her elbows to look at him better. "I didn't wake you up, did I?"

"No," he assured her at once as he pulled her back down to rest her head on his arm. Sophia mumbled something in protest he never managed to catch and chose to rest her head on the junction of his neck and shoulder, half of her body laying on his, one of her legs tangled with his. Draco chuckled as he put an arm around her waist to support her.

"Do you have work today?"

"I do," he admitted with a small sigh. "That's in an hour, though. We can stay like this for a while longer."

She hummed in agreement and they sank in silence. So far away from the city, nothing was heard other than their steady breaths. Sophia loved it. She closed her eyes even though she knew she would not be getting back to sleep any time soon. What felt like an eternity later, Draco spoke up.

"My ex hated this place." She let out a small, questioning hum, not bothered enough to open her eyes or lift herself up. Draco continued anyway. "She said the salty air messed with her hair and the place was too humid."

"The salty air makes the whole experience a dozen times better," she softly countered. Draco shivered – she was lying so close her lips brushed his skin every time she spoke up. It brought up memories of last night, of feverish lips on skin, wanderings hands, eyes that could not be sated until they were closed, surrendering to the feeling of it all. She seemed to not notice his reaction as she spoke up once more. "Why did you break up with her?"

"She broke up with me," he corrected her softly. "She said bearing the Malfoy name was too much of a burden, a responsibility she could not handle. My mother loved her, she was almost more disappointed than I was for a while."

Sophia laughed as she pulled back to look him in the eyes. "It's ok. You ended up with me so who's the loser now?"

He shook his head at her as she lied back down on her pillow and looked up at the ceiling with a small sigh.

"My ex boyfriends were jerks. My parents didn't like them and they were right, really. I was usually left heartbroken by the end but still tried to make things right."