Chapter 4: Whispers in the Snow

Y/N's POV

Leaving behind the safety of the ruins, I stepped out into the open expanse of Snowdin, a world blanketed in snow and shrouded in serene stillness. The chill in the air bit at my skin, a reminder of the harsh reality of the underground. Chara's voice echoed in my mind, guiding me as I ventured forward.

As I walked, the sound of crunching snow underfoot was the only noise that broke the silence. The towering trees loomed overhead, their branches heavy with snow, casting elongated shadows across the path. It was a stark contrast to the warmth and familiarity of the ruins, and I couldn't help but feel a sense of unease.

Just as the feeling of solitude was beginning to settle in, a voice cut through the quiet. "heh, not a bad place to take a leisurely stroll, huh?"

I turned to the source of the voice, spotting a skeleton monster leaning against a tree with a nonchalant grin. It was a laid-back-looking sentry of Snowdin, his eye sockets glowing with a mischievous light.

"Hey there," I greeted, offering a small wave. "Nice forest you've got here."

The sentry chuckled, his grin widening. "Eh, it's alright. If you're into cold and quiet, that is. Name's Sans, by the way. Sans the Skeleton."

"Y/N," I introduced myself, feeling a strange mix of curiosity and caution. After all, I had learned from Chara that not all encounters in the underground were as friendly as they seemed.

Sans' eye sockets seemed to sparkle as he sized me up. "Y/N, huh? Well, you've got that look of someone who's seen some things. Not your first time in the underground, is it?"

His words caught me off guard. How did he know? I was about to reply when Chara's voice echoed in my thoughts, cautioning me against revealing too much.

"Nah, just passing through," I answered casually, hoping to keep my true origins hidden for now.

Sans gave me a knowing look, his grin not faltering. "Well, if you ever need a break from the quiet, Grillby's got a great place just down the way. And hey, if you're looking for a bit of excitement, you've come to the right place."

----------------------------------Time Skip----------------------------------

Chara's POV

As night fell and the forest embraced the moon's soft glow, Y/N's footsteps seemed to echo in the stillness. The hush of the night enveloped us, casting a sense of calm amidst the shadows.

Suddenly, a rustling sound disrupted the silence. Y/N froze, their senses heightened as they scanned the surroundings. A figure emerged from the trees, illuminated by the moonlight, and relief washed over Y/N as they recognized me.

"Who's there?" Y/N called out cautiously.

"It's just me," I reassured them, stepping into view. The moonlight danced on my ethereal form, creating an almost surreal glow.

Y/N's brows furrowed as they looked at me, their confusion evident. "Chara? How can I see you? I mean, I've heard your voice before, but..."

Their words echoed the very question that had puzzled me for so long. How was it possible that Y/N could perceive me, a mere ghost, when no one else in the underground could?

"Our connection," I began, my voice steady as I tried to put into words something that was beyond the ordinary. "I think it's the link that binds us, transcending the boundaries of our worlds. It allows you to see me, to hear me."

Y/N's eyes held a mixture of amazement and uncertainty. "So, our connection is why I can see you?"

I nodded, my heart swelling with a blend of emotions. "Yes, Y/N. Our bond is what enables this connection, allowing you to perceive me even though I exist in a different form."