Prologue

Seonghwa 

I raised my hand, confident in my answer but before I was called on, somebody else answered the question. I turned my gaze just to see who I knew would've been the one to answer. 

Kim Hongjoong. 

The fucking prick. 

He gave me a smug smile when the answer was deemed correct and I knew it was correct, because it was my answer. 

I clenched my jaw, looking back to my notes, feeling the rising frustration. We had too many classes together and each and every single one of them was intolerable because for some reason he thought it was hilarious to always beat me to the answers, always do better than me. 

I didn't miss the tension in the classroom, I knew most of the students hated being in classes with us because we were constantly bickering and it just made it unbearable for everyone else.

That included Yunho who rolled his eyes next to me. "Just focus on your work, Hwa." He said. 

Easy for him to say, the biggest fuckboy in the school wasn't targeting him. Despite his title, he was smart. So smart that he rivaled me constantly and it just pissed me off because he just did it because he could. He had no real desire for his studies. He never got into any groups or did anything for extra credit, he never cared about partnering up on assignments. 

He just wanted to fuck with me. 

And I had no idea why. 

 Most of the time I didn't care that he was doing so good in classes, until we received what our places was in school, and I expected to see myself at the top like I always was until I saw Hongjoong's name placed above mine and I felt my smile drop. 

No...

No, this was bad....

This was really fucking bad. 

I looked up just to see Hongjoong staring at me, with the same fucking smile and I wanted to punch it right off his face. 

Why?! Why was he doing this to me?! 

Yunho looked at me worriedly, "Do you want to stay at my house today? Maybe your dad won't-"

I looked at him and it made him stop talking because we both knew that was bullshit. 

My dad would care. 

While all of the other students rushed out of the room to get to their next class, I went over to Hongjoong's desk, folding my arms. 

He didn't even bother to look up as he stood up. 

"What is your problem?" I snapped, finally making him look at me. 

He looked unbothered. 

He hummed, smirking at me, "What seems to be the problem?" 

"You know what is the problem! You took my spot-"

He clicked his tongue, leaning back in his seat. "Maybe you should've tried harder."