Prologue

Harry and Hermione had always known that the locket affected Ron in a deeper and more visceral way than it did themselves, but they never expected the situation to become so complicated.

"And what about you? What are you going to do?" Ron's direct question held a plea in his eyes. A part of Hermione wished to go with him. To leave Harry behind and grow old with Ron, to hide where no one could find them... Maybe go to Australia, retrieve her parents, pursue a career, and start a family. To stop feeling fear, cold, hunger... But no, she couldn't do that. She had promised it to Harry and to herself. Her duty was to stay. It wasn't yet the time for Hermione Granger's happy ending.

"I understand, you choose him." Ron's words dripped with anger and pain. As soon as the protective spell allowed her to advance, Hermione ran after him. She cried, shouted his name, begged him to stop... And he did. He stood still, and far enough from the tent that Harry couldn't hear, he directed words at Hermione that would shatter her heart completely.

"I'm sure that baby you're carrying is his. You stopped warming my bed to warm his. Start a family and forget about me, I'm sure it'll be easy for you."

And with those words, Ron left.