Felt somethin' - Daryl Dixon

Requested by: SDT_Fantasy

Warnings: N/A

Season: 3, Prison

Spoilers: N/A

Summary: Daryl sets out for another one of his usual supply runs, but Savanna insists on following along, much to Daryl's distaste.

•••

"Try an' keep up, will ya?" Daryl huffs as he realises she won't change her mind.

Savanna nods her head as she trails along behind him, although he can't see it.

She just couldn't spend another day pent up in that cold, dark prison while the others got to go out and actually be useful. Plus, it gave her an excuse to be around Daryl.

Ever since they met at the farm, Savanna's curiosity grew towards the quiet man. He didn't talk much to the group and when he did it was usually a string of angry words. But she knows he's a good man, and cares a lot about the people they're with.

Her thoughts were interrupted when she stepped on a loose branch, the snap sending an echo through the woods.

Daryl whipped around, a frown set on his features.

"Bloody hell, watch where you're walkin'." He mumbled some other things about walkers and stupidity.

Savanna simply rolled her eyes, although warmth rose on her cheeks. The thought of not everyone being able to move like him made her feel a tiny bit better.

They continued for what seemed like hours, and Savanna's feet were beginning to ache. Sitting around at the prison has definitely taken a toll on her physically.

"How much further is the shop?" She asks, Daryl a couple of feet ahead of her.

She's met with a grunt, as he continues walking.

"Great talk..." She mutters, adjusting the strap on her shoulder.

Another 20 minutes has passed, and the gap between them has grown significantly. Savanna finds her movements have slowed, and her lungs are working harder to regulate her breathing.

The trees are more sparse now, and she can make out some buildings up ahead. Her eyes struggled to focus on Daryl's form, as he became a blur amongst the woods.

Daryl pauses, turning his attention to Savanna as he notices her footsteps grow even further away. The next sarcastic remark prepares to leave his lips, before he's running to her collapsed form.

Savanna wakes up on the floor of a library, the carpet soft beneath her. Her eyes scan her surroundings, and she startles slightly as she realises Daryl is sat by her.

"Daryl?" She asks quietly.

His eyes fall to her, the relief barely hidden.

"What happened?" Savanna spoke, propping herself up slightly.

Daryl handed her a bottle of water.

"You collapsed." He replied softly.

She remembered it now, feeling light-headed and like her legs were gonna give out.

"How'd I get here?" She asked hesitantly, already knowing the answer.

"Carried ya."

Her heart flutters at the thought of being in his arms. Her attempt at trying to hide the heat rising to her cheeks fails.

"Savanna?" He asks, barely above a whisper. He rarely ever spoke her name, and hearing it brought an unfamiliar feeling to her chest.

Her eyes were on him, but his gaze was focused on his hands.

"I... felt somethin' when I saw you on the ground." He fiddled with a rip in his jeans. "Scared."

Savanna had never seen Daryl like this before.

His eyes finally looked up to meet her own.

"I was thinkin' while you were out. Bout a lotta things..." He trailed off.

"I don't want anythin' to happen to ya'." His voice was quiet, low.

Savanna shuffled over slightly, near enough to close a hand over his.

"I'm okay, Daryl."

He tensed at the touch, but slowly relaxed as it sent warmth throughout his body.

"I'm not gonna let anythin' happen to ya Savanna."

She smiled, giving his hand a small squeeze. "Maybe I should fall more often if it means you'll be like this."

Daryl rolled his eyes, letting out a huff. Although he couldn't hide the smile tugging at his lips.

"Ever since the farm, I've been thinkin' about you." He continued, feeling more comfortable. "When you went lookin' for Sophia, and didn't come back at sunset, I felt somethin' I'd never felt before."

Savanna's eyes never left his, knowing this is the most he's ever spoken to her.

"That's when I knew, I had to keep my distance. Try an' forget about it."

"Forget about what?" Savanna asked quietly.

Daryl's gaze shifted, eyes now on his hands. "Bout how I feel with you."

"I don't want you to forget, Daryl." Savanna spoke, a small smile on her lips.

"Never did." He said, looking back up to see her face.

Savanna slowly rested her head on his shoulder, closing her eyes.

Daryl's arm gently wrapped around her, holding the two together.

"I never will." He whispered.

•••

Bit short, but I hope that was okay and followed what you asked for :)