chapter 6

Maya and Carina hadn't stopped talking to each other after Andréa's departure, they had differences of opinion on many things, including Jessica, but they hadn't taken one step forward to take ten back.

For Thanksgiving Thursday, given that there were four Americans counting Andy, who came from an American territory, they had decided to celebrate the holiday in the evening. Maya had started helping out in the kitchen, but as soon as the football game had started, she'd gone off to watch TV, leaving her place to the other residents.

Just to please her new friend of just three weeks, Carina had spent hours on cooking websites to find the best recipe for turkey or pecan pie. She'd put all her energy into it and had even 'skipped' a day of classes, not compulsory, where La Sorbonne allowed students who were celebrating Thanksgiving not to come. She wasn't American to begin with, but she'd taken the offer at face value.

So she had been one of those who had spent the day in the kitchen.

She had just finished mashed sweet potatoes, the first of her life. She'd plunged the fork in, gone to the living room and bent over Maya when she'd been alone on the sofa.

- "you're not transparent"

-"close your eyes and open your mouth".

-"my team is losing, I don't have time for your sex games".

- "and me for your inappropriate humor! If you open your mouth and close your eyes, in thirty seconds I'll be out of television".

Maya had complied and moaned. Like the time she'd eaten the tiramisù and like a few weeks ago, when she'd finally tasted Carina's lasagna.

- "okay that's really good"

- "really?" Carina asked, still leaning over the blonde.

The latter had opened her eyes.

-"Really"

Sometimes Carina wondered if Maya wasn't trying to flirt with her, like right now she had the most intense blue eyes in the world. But in reality, not really. It was just the real Maya with girls. She just didn't know how to behave any differently.

-"okay" replied the Italian in a barely audible voice.

For all the world, Maya and Carina were finally putting up with each other. They weren't the best of friends, but they put up with each other.
Little did they know that they were actually becoming friends.

Maya's phone had rung just as Carina was heading back to the kitchen.

-"Andrea! My favorite Italian."

The brunette had turned and raised an eyebrow at the Olympic champion, who had pretended not to have felt her gaze on her.

"Stop it, no! I can't believe it, what kind of defense is that?"

Okay, so Andrea and Maya were so close, they'd call each other from one country to another, to talk American football.

Carina had returned to the kitchen to continue the meal.
They'd all ended up having dinner together, even though Maya's team had lost and she was a bit grumpy. Then those who hadn't cooked had told those who had, that they were going to clear away, clean up and tidy up.

The Italian was in her room to send a message to her brother.

Carina : Ehi tu, perché chiami Maya. Non hai altri amici?

Someone had knocked on her door.

-"Yes?"

It was Maya she had stepped forward after pushing open the door.