Grey/ Ch. 1

Hermione POV

"Hermione, we're going to miss the train!"

"I'm coming, I'm coming; will you slow down?" I asked Ron and Harry as we ran toward the train that was very near it's departure.

"Nope, better safe than sorry!" I heard Ron yell back at me.

Since when does he care about being prompt? I thought as we approached the great locomotive.

We boarded the train just before it took off. We took a moment to catch our breaths before heading to find a compartment, which was rather difficult, seeing as we were the last students to board. Once we found a suitable compartment, we set our carry-on's in the storage holders above the seats. Oh how good it felt to sit down after running! I relished the feeling of the plush material underneath my aching bum. I turned to see Harry looking amused.

"Why are you looking like that?" I asked Harry. He turned to look at me and then looked next to me.

"I don't think Ron got much sleep last night," he answered, smirking.

I looked to my right and saw Ron dead asleep against the compartment window. His mouth hung agape as he snored softly. I always admired how he could fall asleep in any situation, while I required the room dark as a cave and completely quiet to get a decent sleep. I turned back to Harry, now staring out the window that portrayed a mountainous view with a partially cloudy sky.

"Well what did you do to him?" I asked with a hint of amusement in my voice.

"Me? I didn't do anything! He was up all night packing because he forgot to prior. I got a wonderful sleep, listening to him worry and yelling at Ginny trying to find his robes that he hasn't looked for since last year. It gave me a good laugh before I actually slept." He started laughing at the thought of last night's events. I rolled my eyes and sat back in my seat, bringing my knees up to my chest.

"That's not very nice, Harry. He was probably in deep distress thinking about what Molly might have done to him if he lost anything and didn't tell her. I mean, he's already gone through three wands."

"Very true. He really needs to be less clumsy," Harry added with a giggle.

I smiled to myself and took my turn to gaze out the window. I noticed that the leaves on the trees were starting to turn different shades. Most of the leaves were green, but I could see a few shades of yellow and orange peek out from behind them. Fall was nearing, even though the past few weeks have been unseasonably warm. It was pleasant.

I was pulled out of my thoughts when I heard a knock on the door. Harry spoke to them to come inside. A girl with dirty blonde hair came inside, holding a magazine upside down.

She turned into the hallway and softly spoke to a pair of individuals, "Oh Neville, Ginny, they're in this one!"

Luna, Neville and Ginny walked in a moment after, filling in beside myself and Harry. Luna sat to my left, while Ginny sat to Harry's right and Neville sat next to Ginny. Neville looked slightly uncomfortable not sitting next to his girlfriend. Luna, however, look as contempt as she always does. Ginny looked up at Harry as she entwined her hand with his.

"We spent ages looking for you! I almost thought you didn't board on time," she told him.

"Well, if it weren't for Hermione, we could've boarded earlier," Harry mocked as he smirked at me.

I gave him a disbelieving look. I shook my head, "I only had to use the bathroom. Ronald over here was almost sleep walking, that is what caused us to almost miss the train," I informed the rest of them.

Ginny nodded her head in understanding. "He tried to get me to help him find his robes. I don't think he had seen those since last year!"

I laughed quietly, as well as the others. I looked over to my sleeping boyfriend. He sure is a deep sleeper. I turned to Luna and Neville asking them how they spent their summers.

"Neville and I went on a nargle hunt. We weren't very lucky... I bet we'll get them next time," Luna expressed, looking over to Neville, who had a very skeptical look on his face. "Other than that, I spent my time with my father rebuilding the house. It looks very lovely. You all should come see it sometime."

Harry and I exchanged looks. Xenophilius Lovegood wasn't exactly our cup of tea, knowing that he turned us over to the Death Eaters only last year. Harry, Ron and I had already forgiven him, but we still felt wary about being around him. He was an oddball, very strange indeed. I appreciated Luna though, so I accepted her offer. Harry did as well.

Neville perked up and spoke of his summer. "After we helped McGonagall clean up the castle a little bit, I went home and did some herbology research on plants that brighten moods, so whenever we came back we wouldn't be too sad about everything that happened. The research went pretty well! I grew an excellent batch of peace lilies and about a week ago put them inside the castle. It was insane how many I grew! Just enough for almost one in every room!"

I gave him a look of astonishment. "That's wonderful, Neville!"

"Yes, well done Neville!" Harry chimed in.

Neville had a tint of red upon his cheeks, along with a sheepish grin. We sat in silence for a while, remembering everything that had taken place the year before. We defeated Voldemort, his army, we destroyed horcruxes, and we banded together and saved the wizarding world. We've been through so much, and it feels so good to see things getting to a somewhat normal. I feel especially great knowing that Harry can finally have an ordinary year since Voldemort won't be able to taunt him. I smiled at this fact and looked toward Harry. He was smiling as Ginny whispered something in his ear. They were probably the best thing for each other. She helped him forget and get through the loss of his loved ones, and he helped her mourn the death of Fred. They truly loved each other, anyone with eyes could see it. I looked over to Ron. Can anyone look at us and know we're in love? I shook my head at this thought. Of course they could. It wasn't a question whether we loved each other or not.

I was once again pulled from my thoughts when I heard a knock at the door. A head of platinum blonde hair came into my view. I saw Harry's expression change from one of adoration to one of confusion and mild disgust.

"What do you want Malfoy?" Harry asked quizzically.

"I need to see Granger for a moment, Potter," the blonde replied with a hint of annoyance in his voice.

I gave Harry a confused look. Harry gave me a look of if -he- tries- anything- I'll- kill -him. I walked out of the compartment, crossing my arms over my chest as I did so. "What is it Malfoy?" I asked without trying to be too snarky. I know that the war is over and that everything and everyone is supposed to be okay, but I still didn't trust this git.

"McGonagall requires your presence in her compartment immediately," he told me quietly.

I was puzzled. Usually Malfoy would respond with a sarcastic remark or an insult. I stood there a moment too long staring at him confusedly. He raised his eyebrows and coughed to get my attention. Looking down, I blushed in embarrassment. Did I really just get caught staring at Malfoy? I was slightly disgusted in myself.

The boy in question looked very uncomfortable. "Well, um, I'll just be leaving now," he muttered as he shrugged past me.

I will never be able to understand him, I thought to myself. I didn't ever want to. So with a clear mind, I headed down to Professor McGonagall's compartment to see where my assistance was needed.

~Authors Note~

Omg this took forever and I hope to you guys it's not some huge ramble. These next few chapters you'll have to bear with me because I'm kind of preparing for a huge audition and yeah. I'm also trying my best to keep them in character so it isn't totally unrealistic. Like, I legit searched up their personality types and found their strengths and weaknesses and how their relationships work and everything. If anyone knows what this means, I'm an INFJ :D. Anyway, thanks for reading!