CHAPTER 1: MY FRIENDS SAY I PLAY TOO MUCH

| A world contained within a handful of popcorn. Each kernel, a universe of untold stories, each holding a life. Simple mortal souls. Oh, they look so delicious... but no, I shouldn't be eating them. I'm on a no carb, no corn diet.

Maybe one piece won't hurt?

Oh, no-no-no, don't throw away my kernels, but... please,

Please, have a seat.

It's been a while since I last narrated the show. I'm glad to see more faces in the audience this time - it's truly heartening. It really is–

Even though it seems that we have an uninvited guest amongst us... but I suppose it doesn't matter. Let's move along...

For the show... the show must go on.

PRELUDE:

Wait, the stage is not set.

PRELUDE AGAIN:

[The curtains are drawn. A lone figure stands in the center of the stage, the clothes wet and in disarray. The sound of rain and thunder rumbles in the background.]

NARRATOR?:

The scene is set on a dark and dreary night, where the rain falls from the sky like tears. The streets shimmer with a glossy sheen, reflecting the lights like a mirror. Faraway, the trees sway and dance, casting shadows in their wake.

[The figure begins to walk slowly across the stage, the sound of the rain growing louder.]

NARRATOR:

Remember?

THE BOY?:

"Even when I close my eyes, the image still appears."

Walking to class was blurry now, as if it had happened a lifetime ago.

The relentless rain pounded against the nearby windows, creating a steady rhythm that followed the thumping in his chest. He looked down at his hands, shivering.

[Behind him, rippling puddles clutched shoes in its embrace, as socks with holes strayed and the river of rain carried them away...]

The taste of pennies in his mouth. Metal gutted through a hole.

[Please... a voice cried.]

If he had turned around.

No, wait. That was what it was. How could he forget?

NARRATOR:

[TO THE AUDIENCE]

How could you?

ACT 1: RAIN

[You were never meant to.]

They were waiting for you. You had parents who loved you. The apartments where you lived were safe and cozy. The neighbors knew everyone, and everyone knew everyone. Your older sister was kind and paraded you around. Your younger brother had just been born.

[The rain that day was loud.]

It was a normal morning. Your family just thought you were late.

8:07 A.M.

Shh... Your mother murmurs to the baby. The bags under her eyes look so dark and sunken. Don't you remember looking at their wedding photo for hours on end? It was a huge portrait that stood near the doorway, displayed in a gold frame. She was smiling then, with twinkles in her eyes. Beside her, your dad wore a black tuxedo and donned a huge, crazy grin.

Now, your dad sits at the breakfast table with his phone and a cup of coffee, wearing a wrinkled gray suit and grumbling about something on the news. As soon as he takes a bite out of his croissant, he drops it. He has to go. A quick kiss to mom and your dad is out the door.