6 | GOOD ending to save humanity and purify our souls*

Mark has a sleepover at Johnny's place since he doesn't have where to go yet. They have a great evening while watching movies together and doing other things the friends do on boys' night.

The younger leaves the next day, and thanks Johnny a lot for giving him great shelter and even greater company. Johnny tries to smile when he says goodbye to his friend, but Mark notices that he has a lot on his head. The younger doesn't ask what it is. He feels like he doesn't want to hear it.

And so Mark thinks about visiting his family. He realizes halfway through his trip that he doesn't have any presents, so he goes to the supermarket and tries to find expensive gifts. The poor boy doesn't know what to buy for each of them as he doesn't have any idea what his family members like. He ends up buying a tie collection for his dad, a makeup kit for his mom, a computer game for his brother, and a chicken out of rubber for the dog.

After that, he rests on the bench, trying to catch his breath as running around the shelves was tiring.

"Minhyung?" he hears a female voice and turns his head to the owner.

There he sees his mom, a woman he hasn't seen for more than ten years. At first, he doesn't know that it's his mom, though. He just sees a woman that seems familiar. He wonders if she's an actress as Mark feels like he has seen her somewhere. But when he realizes that it's his mom, he doesn't hesitate and runs to hug her.

"You're such a big boy!" Mom begins complimenting him. "So handsome!"

His mom looks different than he remembers. It's not surprising at all when many years have passed. The last time Mark saw her was when he was still a little boy. He remembers her in her early years as a mother.

The woman's hair is a lot shorter and she has much more makeup on her face than she had before. Her clothes are a better brand too and Mark is relieved that his family seems to live a good life just as he does.

"Are you here for vacation?"

"Yes, I'm thinking about staying here for the summer," Mark replies. "I'm actually on my way to see you all."

"Oh, I ruined your surprise," she gasps. "But others don't need to know. Let's go home together."

Mark is certain she saw the bag with presents but pretends she didn't. She looks away when they get into her car and Mark places the bag on the back seat. Mark guesses that she doesn't want to ruin another surprise.

"So how have you been?" Mom asks. "We haven't contacted each other for years. I believe university life is hard."

"It is, but I'm enjoying it. If not university, I won't even know what to do with my life."

"Is Uncle taking good care of you?"

"As always."

"He's a busy man."

"He is a great father figure."

They go silent after that. Mark thinks that he got this awkwardness from his mother. At least they have one similarity.

"I can't wait for us all to meet. You'll see how everyone changed," Mom breaks the silence.

"Me too."

"It's a pity that your brother doesn't remember you. I tried to remind him how you two loved playing together, but he's not interested at all."

"It's okay, Mom," Mark brushes it off. "I don't remember him that well too."

The conversation ends again, but this time Mark doesn't feel awkward. Instead, he feels welcomed. Mom sure missed him and he believes other family members did too.