Chapter Forty Five: She'll be in their Hearts

Maddie was the first to hear about this when Madisyn read the letter. She did promise that she'd be the first to know if Cedrica was in any kind of danger. Her heart broke when he read the letter. Cedrica had explained everything, except Scarlett being the one who did it. Maddie wanted to cry. How could she not? The one person who she loves with all her heart is going to die and for what? For a reason that no one will ever know about.

She fell to the ground, breaking down in tears. She had always been afraid to lose her and now she's maybe a day away from death. It hurt to think of losing her like this. Cedrica's parents saw Maddie's state through the painting and came to check on their friend. All she did was hand them the letter and they knew what was wrong. They knew about their love for each other so this was even heartbreaking for them. But Wade encouraged her to save her tears for another time because he pointed out that Cedrica had invited her and the royal family to see her one last time.

Maddie was quick to find them and showed them the letter. They too were heartbroken about the news but quickly left to get to Asgard as soon as possible. When they did, they went straight for the castle where Scarlett was furious that Cedrica had disobeyed her but suspected why they were here. She thought Cedrica had asked to see her family again but knew she would be angry if she asked herself. So, she let the family see her.

But the sight was awful. She was so pale, so sick-looking, her breathing was uneven, and rashes had started forming. Maddie ran to her side as she woke up to see everyone. Maddie sat next to her on the bed and hugged her. She apologized profusely for not listening to her when Maddie tried to save her the first time. Scarlett left everyone alone.

"I'm so sorry, Maddie. I should've listened to you now I'm dying because of it. I'm sorry!" Cedrica said crying.

Maddie shushed her as she hugged her, "It's not your fault. I shouldn't have left you alone."

"No, you don't understand. Scarlett did this to me. She poisoned me. You were right. She was using me to get the throne and, now that she has it, she doesn't need me anymore so she's getting rid of me just like her parents! Please believe me! She's not what you think!"

"Scarlett wouldn't do such a thing. Cheat maybe but never kill anyone," Rose said.

Not having the energy to argue, Cedrica gave up trying to convince them. But Sophus believed her. He remembered what Sydney White told her during the Enchanted Feast when she had a bad feeling about Sean who turned out to be Mister Nicholas. Now it was time for Cedrica to tell everyone what she wants them to do. She asked Rose to sit in a chair that was hers, had Sophus sing Best Day Ever and the last one for Maddie.

"Anything. Just tell me," Maddie said

"Hold me as close as you can, please," Cedrica said

"What?" Maddie was a little confused.

"You heard me."

"Wouldn't you want Scarlett to do that?"

"No. I want you to do it. Because I love you, not Scarlett. I know this is the wrong time to say it but I'll never have this opportunity again."

Maddie was shocked but did as she asked. She sat as close she could and held her close. Cedrica started crying harder knowing she'd never have this feeling again.

'Come stop your crying, it will be alright,' Maddie assured her, 'Just take my hand, hold it tight. I will protect you from all around you. I will be here, don't you cry. For one so small you seem so strong. My arms will hold you, keep you safe and warm. This bond between us can't be broken. I will be here don't you cry,'

''Cause you'll be in my heart,' everyone joined in, 'Yes, you'll be in my heart from this day on, now and forever more. You'll be in my heart. No matter what they say you'll be here in my heart. Always.'

'Why can't she understand the way we feel?' Cedrica asked Maddie

'She just doesn't trust what she can't explain,' Maddie explained, 'I know we're different but deep inside us, we're not that different at all.'

'And you'll be in my heart. Yes, you'll be in my heart from this day on, now and forever more. You'll be in my heart no matter what they say. You'll be here in my heart. Always.'

'Don't listen to her cause what does she know? We need each other to have, to hold. She'll see in time. I know. And destiny calls you, you must be strong. I may not be with you but you've got to hold on. She'll see in time. I know. We'll show her together 'cause...'

'You'll be in my heart. Believe me, you'll be in my heart. I'll be there from this day on, now, and forever more. Oooo, you'll be in my heart. You'll be here in my heart no matter what they say. I'll be with you. You'll be here in my heart. I'll be there always. Always. I'll be with you. I'll be there for you always. Always and always. Just look over your shoulder. Just look over your shoulder. Just look over your shoulder. I'll be there always.'

Cedrica was happy that her friends could do this for her. But she couldn't hold onto life any longer. With her final breath, she said her last words.

"Thank you all for reminding me... that I'm alive and loved."

She fell limp in Maddie's arms and her breathing stopped. She was gone. Maddie didn't believe it for a moment until she checked her pulse. Nothing. That's when she burst into tears and held her closer to her. She didn't want this to be true but it was. And no one interrupted Maddie's grieving. Everyone knew it was obvious that Maddie loves her best friend so she deserves this moment. Sophus didn't stay long. Everyone else may not have believed Cedrica but she does. Scarlett did this to her best friend and brother figure and he wasn't letting Scarlett get away with this. He went to her room where she was practicing a sad act for Cedrica's funeral. Sophus walked in without Scarlett noticing and spoke his mind to her.

'Foolish Queen, depraved and vile. Still, you smile you, dirty sorceress killer. When you stand before the mirror do you still hold your head high? Carved her sentence with a knife, stole the gift that she called life but she still believes in you, so change soon or prepare for a living hell! You're gonna have a bad time if you carry on down this line and you don't abandon it soon. Just remember what Cedrica said to you, Thomas. I'll respect my bro's final words...'

"I would keep your mouth shut, little prince. Unless you want to join your best friend," Scarlett said.

"You won't get away with this. My mom will learn the truth and you will be behind bars for what you've done," Sophus sneered.

He left to greave over his best friend's death.

Nothing will be the same without her.