Chapter 31

"So you really don't remember anything before two years ago?" Marnie asked as she poured hot water into your cup.

Kite and Arlo had headed back to the Inn while you went with Marnie to her house.

"No not much... I remember my dad dropping me off at my new home in Heartland city... that's about it, but any time I use my powers I get little snippets of things that have been said to me... but it's always related to that and not... uh... not actual memories," you sighed.

"Oh no! I'm so sorry! I could only imagine if my parents dropped me off in a new city then left me," Marnie sighed sadly.

"I think they were scared I was gonna hurt someone again," you said," I think I was a kid when it happened though..."

"If you don't mind me asking do you have control over them now?" Marnie asked.

"I don't mind. I was still struggling until recently... I was struggling with the thought of my past and how messy things possibly were... but now we are here and maybe I can start to make sense of things," you said.

"I see, I see, but I'm still really unsure on how I can help you," Marnie sighed.

"I know, I'm sorry, I really don't mean to put pressure on you," you said.

"Hm? Oh no! It's not a problem! Weirdly its exciting! This small town doesn't usually have much going on and now I've been handed a mystery!" Marnie smiled," I'll help you figure things out Y/n!"

The determination in her eyes put you at ease and you couldn't help but smile yourself.

"Thank you Marnie," you smiled.

"Of course!" Marnie smiled.

Suddenly your anxiety rose and you could feel a dark presence.

"Marnie! We're home!" A man's voice called.

You recognized that voice...

That...

Oh god...

Your head started to feel fuzzy.

"Hi dad! Hi mom!" Marnie greeted as they walked into the kitchen.

Your back was turned to the two and you couldn't bring yourself to turn around.

"Marnie? Who is this?" Her voice was full of venom and hate.

"Uh... this is Y/n, they were just leaving," Marnie said as she grabbed your wrist.

You let Marnie drag you away, but you looked back one last time.

Your eyes met hers and instantly you could tell it was number possession.

You felt sickly as you quickly looked away.

"I'm so sorry, I've never seen my mom so angry over a stranger," Marnie now said now that you two were outside the house. "Usually she's so accepting of my new friends."

"Marnie... I think I know what's going on now. Thank you for your patience, but I will be leaving tomorrow. I got what I needed," you said softly.

"Huh? Wait you mean that's it? Are you sure you have everything you need to know?" Marnie asked.

"Yes, and it's best if I stay away, so please, keep yourself safe," you smiled warmly and turned away.

"Wait!" Marnie hugged you from behind. "Please... I don't know what it is, but you feel so familiar..."

Your heart dropped.

"I'm sorry," you whispered and unwrapped her arms from around you. You turned back to her to see her crying.