Chapter 1: A Change of Subject

I still couldn't choose my classes for next year. I'm sitting in my room looking at the year 11 booklet on my school laptop. Maybe I could just choose the same classes as some of my friends. But for year 11, it's pretty Important that I choose subjects I want to get into after school. I'm looking through and everything I'm good at seems boring, and everything that seems fun I'm not good at.

My mother cuts through my thoughts as she calls me and my siblings for dinner. "Grubs up! Get here before your dad eats it all!".

"I'M COMING!!!!," this blood curdling scream belonged to my little brother, Henry. Between me, my sister, and my little brother, my brother has the biggest gap in age, he's only 8 yet I'm 16 and my sister is 17.

My sister isn't the nicest person, but I think that she's just stressed about her year 12 exams. She skipped a year due to really good grades in primary school. I think she regrets being so smart back then because now she has to deal with the final year of school early.

"I swear to god henry... SHUT UP, I'm trying to study!". Just by hearing my family shout at each other through the walls of our house, you might already have a good idea of what we're like.

After having dinner at the table, except for my sister, my mother brings up my year 11 subjects.

"So..." she starts while pouring herself another glass of wine, "How's choosing your subjects going?"

"I don't know, I can't choose what I want to do."

"Yeah, what about photography, you liked that."

"You made me do that class and I don't know if I'm really good at it."

"Oh come on, you were having trouble choosing your classes, I just gave you a push."

Henry makes his way to mom and starts to cry.
"Mommy... I want to play!" He cried.

He's always been annoying when it comes to mom giving someone else more attention than him. Most of the time, it's annoying, but I've been avoiding this conversation, so this is much appreciated.
"Oh, but I'm talking to your brother henry."

After seeing henry's complete breaks down, my mother has no choice but to leave the room with him to calm him down. I take this as a good chance to retreat, so I go back into my room.

Although I still don't know what I want to do next year, I'm too tired to care.

The next morning I take the bus to school. I don't have any friends who take the same bus so I have to wait till I get to school in order to vent my problems too. After I get off the bus, I see two of my friends chatting. This is how it goes every weekday, as my bus gets to school last, they're always waiting till I get here. They sit in the same place everyday waiting, chatting about some new band or small indie game that I'm always late to know about.

"I think you're bus got here early alex." Braden has always been the sarcastic type, so much so that people have been calling him 'sassy'. Well, that and he's gay.

"Oh shut up Braden," and that's Livette. We all think that her name is kinda weird, so we just call her liv. Her mother is the president of the Parent/Teacher Committee at our school, everyone knows she's just a big karen.

"Did you guys see the ads about Lisa Raven coming to Nevada in a few months?" Lisa Raven is a recently popular Music artist who has recently started advertising her first tour.

"No? Are there any tickets left?" Once again, I'm always late on trends and things, and while our conversation continues, we start going up the stairs that take us to the main hall at our school.

"Barely, thankfully I got an extra one just in case." Liv has like 7 siblings, wait, no. 8 maybe? Either way, if it did turn out that I did buy a ticket, she would have gotten one of her siblings to come with us. "I knew you wouldn't see our messages in our group chat."