Part Two

She was four years old when the stranger arrived.

People didn't usually come to her house, so when the doorbell rang, she stood excitedly at the top of the stairs. Her father let him in and showed him through to the living room. The stranger was Chinese. She crept down to take a peek through the half-open door. They were talking in such low voices she couldn't understand a word they were saying. From her hiding place, she could see the stranger's face. It was mean-looking.

"Come in, Skylar." Her mother's voice startled her. Being careful not to look directly at the man, she pushed quickly past him and tried to hide behind her father's legs. Her mother reached out and pulled the young child to her. Skylar didn't know what to do. She looked to her father, but he just stared at the fireplace. He was blinking heavily, as if he had something stuck in his eye.

Suddenly, the stranger took her by the wrist. Flinching, she tried to pull away, but he held her tightly and her mother gave her that look, the one she used when the girl was to be quiet. Her mother handed the stranger a small bag and, almost before Skylar knew it, they were outside, walking down the garden path, leaving her parents behind.

The stranger said nothing to her. She had no idea where he was taking her. When she found herself at the airport she began to tingle with a mixture of excitement and fear. This might have been a fantastic adventure, but no; something was wrong, really wrong. The stranger still did not speak as they began to board a plane. As time passed, the child grew more and more fearful. Surely Mum and Dad will come for me soon? she thought to herself. We'll go back home soon. Everything will be alright. Little did she know, she was on a plane bound for China. The girl soon became drowsy and fell asleep.

After a few hours of peaceful slumber, she awoke with a start and realised they were getting off the plane. Where are we? She tried to rub her eyes, but the stranger still held her wrist tight. She wanted to cry. There was a lot of chatter, but she couldn't understand any of it. People were shouting, but their voices were high-pitched and peculiar. Fear and confusion swept over her. Who was this man? Where had he brought her? People scurried around with bags, trolleys and parcels, but it wasn't like the airport they had been in at the beginning of their journey. The air was thick with cigarette smoke and other strange smells. Overwhelmed with drowsiness, the girl began to cry in big, helpless sobs.

"Ssh!" the stranger demanded, sharply tightening his grip so the girl felt his fingernails in her flesh. Her wailing was quickly suppressed in pain and silent terror. He tugged again, this time pulling her out into the evening air. It was then that she realised she was far; very far, from home.

Like a frightened rabbit, she scanned the scene, hoping to catch sight of her mother or father. The people wore strange clothes. There was a lot of shouting and dogs barking and little stalls. They stopped.

Before her was a dark object. It had wheels, and the girl could see four other little faces staring out at her and the man in fear. The stranger roughly hoisted her into the object and with a click of his tongue, she was pulled away into the night.

As she left the airport, Skylar began to study her surroundings: she was with four other children inside what was almost like a car, but not quite like it. In the half-light, she could see that she was sitting next to a boy. He kept his gaze fixed firmly on the people in front of him. It was lit with terror, and Skylar realised that these children were just as scared as she was. Outside, she could see strangely shaped shadows of trees and animals moving around, and they made her fear even worse; combined with queasiness from the sickly stench that filled the air. The journey seemed never-ending. When they finally came to a stand-still it was pitch-black. Skylar could barely make out the shadowy surroundings, though as the other children were shoved out of the cart, she sensed there was a group of women standing at a gateway. Perhaps they were waiting for them. The women didn't like them. She felt that instantly. But what had they done wrong? Skylar's mind flashed back to her mother. Then, with looks of disdain and a crow-like cackle, the women were gone.

The children were instructed to hold on to one another's wrists and walk up the stairs that were at the other end of the street. Skylar swallowed and held on tight to her companion's wrists while they began to make their way over. She could feel their fear as strongly as if it was her own. Her breath was coming in short pants as they steadily edged closer and closer. Before she knew it, they were standing in front of the steps that loomed above and seemed to want to fall on them. And then, out of nowhere, a figure jumped out at them.