Chapter-16 Bonfire and Discussion

DAY 1

YN POV

We gathered up the branches and returned to camp. Being from a different class, Ibuki didn't want to cause any trouble, so she sat futher away. If she stayed within our sight, she probably wouldn't cause any trouble. Hirata was gone, unfortunately. That meant Yamaguchi, Sakura and Ayanokoji had to get bonfire going. They wouldn't be able to get a fire going in the dark, so they had to hurry.

Yamaguchi: "Leave it to me. I'll show you an easy way."

Yamauchi produced a matchbox he'd received from Hirata and crouched before the stacked branches. He took one match and quickly scratched the tip against rough strip. We heard repeated scratching sounds, like -tch-, but the match didn't light.

Yamaguchi: "Damn, this is pretty hard..."

I just sigh at him. He was obviously doing it in a wrong way. I just went near the tree and sat down. As I was looking at the group. Sakura and Ayanokoji stood next to him and watched. Yamauchi tried to look cool, but for someone unused to matches, it probably wasn't easy. Still, he struck the match over and over, until suddenly it lit.

Yamaguchi: "Oh, oh, there! Got it!"

Finally. In a panic, Yamaguchi brought the match down to the bundle of sticks. But only light smoke came out and after watching a really long time it didn't seem that the fire was going to start.

Yamaguchi: "Huh?"

Ayanokoji: "Maybe we need to carefully get the fire onto the branches themselves? Right now it seems impossible."

Yamaguchi: "Okay, I'll try that next time. Ah, jeez, that one failed too. Ah these matches defective or something?"

I couldn't believe there were having such a hard time just for lightning a fire with one match. Yamaguchi was increasingly frustrated and began striking the matches more forcefully against the strip. As a result, he broke several.

Yamaguchi: "If I keep messing up, we're gonna be in trouble."

Three broken matchsticks lay at Yamauchi's feet. He tried to regain his composure.

If things go like this, before the exams ends the matchsticks will end and if it ends it will create more problems in this exam.

Ayanokoji understanding it directly looks at me as if asking for my help. He and Sakura came near me.

Ayanokoji: "Ln, you know why we came here?"

YN: "To ask my help to create the bonfire."

Ayanokoji: "It seems you have understood it."

YN: "And you already know my answer."

Yamaguchi who was left behind also came near me.

Yamaguchi: "Oi! LN, why are you sitting here, atleast help us."

YN: "I saw no reason to help you. Also weren't you saying you already know how to create a bonfire."

Yamaguchi: "Th-Tha... Yes, I know but I want to give this chance to you. I don't want everyone to be depended on me."

YN: "I feel you. But I also feel the same. I also don't want you all to be depended on me."