Cain and Abel

"Oleander?" They pronounced it wrong, everyone does. "That's not an End name so I'm not familiar with its meaning. Is it the name of someone important or—"

"I'll stop you there," he snapped at his mentor. The stone he was using to sharpen his sword came to a grinding stop. "Nerium oleander is a plant, a poisonous one. My parents say it's beautiful, but I've never seen one."

Some other student laughed from close by, steps getting closer. "So you're saying you, a scrawny little mess of a guy, is named after a beautiful and poisonous plant? Dragons, your parents named you wrong!" They laughed again, giving Oleander a slap on the back.

He himself couldn't even say he was very good-looking. Tangled and uneven black hair constantly falling out of its ponytail. Red eyes that were bright enough to hurt if you made eye contact for too long. Skin dark like the void but with ugly pale scars running everywhere.

They all seemed to burn through his long-sleeved clothes. "I'll make you eat those words," he promised.

"Yeah, yeah. Stay mad, leaf ." The other student walked away, still chuckling.

His mentor sighed and excused themself, walking after the kid. Oleander went back to sharpening the sword, frown deeper than before. Then Xisuma appeared. Hands in his pockets like he was calm but his eyes were shooting left and right. He was meant to be on the other side of the town, practicing music or some other stupid thing.

"I don't want you here," he said as Xisuma plopped down beside him. For both of them having darker skin and black hair, Xisuma still managed to look much different. He kept his hair neatly combed and short, with no scars at all. And his purple eyes were comforting, for others. You know how Endermen are with their eye contact.

"Yeah, I don't really want to be here either. But I can't 'prepare an instrument' for another hour. As long as it's in key, it's okay." Xisuma gave an exasperated sigh and flicked at loose pebbles. "Why would you ever choose fighting?"

"It's tradition, X. Chemistry is for fucking nerds so fighting was the only route that contains 'poisonous' as an adjective. Your name is literally 'music' backwards with letters changed about." Oleander stopped sharpening his sword and glared at Xisuma.

"Okay, sure. But I like music. It's so fun and creative and calm . Look at you," he motioned to the scars, "all of that is because of fighting. There's time to change to the nerdy option where—"

"I am here and I'm going to fight. I'm going to fight like the Nether and win. Tell me it's a bad decision when I'm not holding a lethal weapon in my hands."

Xisuma looked over and made brief eye contact. "Fine. If you get hurt, don't say I didn't warn you." He stood up and walked away.

—————————

Three years went by. They turned sixteen and tested for proficiency in their chosen trades. They graduated. Xisuma was given a special guitar and Oleander was given a special sword. They continued to only talk if necessary. A new type of long lasting sibling disagreement. Obviously, their parents tried to reason, but you can't reason with crazy.

Edge of the town was also the edge of the island. Actual buildings ended a while back but the chorus fruit lands beyond that were free to roam. Oleander leaned against the wooden fence they put in for safety. It was old and broken in places. His sword with a golden hilt and red gemstones sat sheathed on his back. Maybe another year and he'd have enough money to leave.

Xisuma's loud footsteps approached. "I don't know if I like people anymore." Praise followed him like a dog.

"It was bound to happen. What did it for you? The pats on the back? Shaking your hand?"