Chapter 2

MITCH

“Hit me again, cutie.”

The sexy ass bartender in the short as fuck should be illegal denim shorts sashays her way over to the poison of my choice tonight, the bottle of tequila, and pours me another glass. I grab the shot glass and shoot it back, letting the burn ignite my mouth, throat, and down to my stomach. Fuck today in every way possible.

I notice a cute brunette taking a seat on the barstool next to me. Her eyes roam up and down my body and finally settle in mine. “Are you drinking to forget or drinking to remember?”

She was even better looking than the bartender, but definitely younger. I assumed that she had to be at least twenty-one to be in this establishment, so I guess flirting with her wouldn’t get me arrested by some small-dick sheriff. “Maybe a little bit of both. You drinking tonight?”

I didn’t realize shrugs could be seductive, but hers sure was, “I had a few beers, but I’d be willing to up my game if you’re offering.”

“Hey bartender lady girl,” I snap my fingers like an asshole, “get this one a shot too.”

The bartender gives me a look somewhere between pity and stupid but still places a second shot glass down. She pauses before pouring though. “You sure you want another, honey? You’ve racked up quite the bill so far.”

“Money ain’t a thing, girly, keep the liquor flowing.” I’m sure some other poor bastards have lied to her before, but I had all the money in the world. Maybe not all the money, but enough to cover this bar tab. I may not have been some hotshot young quarterback or a smack-talking wide receiver, but I made a pretty penny during the years I played in the NFL. I had to retire early, what a load of shit calling it retirement when you’re forced out of the game before your first gray hairs even come in, but that’s the game.

Pretty ladies and expensive alcohol were my kryptonite, but I made sure to have some good investments so I could enjoy the lifestyle long after my playing days were over. Now that I was no longer playing football, I moved on to my next great adventure, broadcasting. I mostly just did color-commentary spots for the team I retired from, but I was getting better at it and the fans seemed to love me. I was happy, mostly. Today wasn’t a happy day though, so I was drowning myself in liquor and hopefully tonight I would be drowning myself between this girl’s thighs.

She purred as she ran her finger down my arm, “So what are you trying to forget, handsome?”

“My brother died last week, his funeral was today.”

“Oh no, I’m so sorry.” Her apology sounded sincere, at least there was that.

“He had a fucking heart attack,” I continue. “Tell me how the hell does a 33-year-old have a heart attack? “

“I don’t know, I’m sorry to hear that though.”

“Everybody keeps telling me that.” I raise my voice a few octaves to repeat the mocking tone I heard all say, “Sorry for your loss. My condolences. You’ll be in my thoughts and prayers.” I huff,  “What does any of that mean? It won’t bring him back, will it?”

Her full hand was now rubbing up and down my arm, and she went from shamelessly flirting to comforting me in my time of need, “No, it won’t, but I guess humans don’t really know what to say when we hear somebody loses somebody close to them.”

I huff and throw back another drink followed by some of the free pretzels, my pathetic attempt to soak up some alcohol. “I don’t even think I was that close to him. Not his fault, I guess. I was the damn selfish one. I haven’t seen him in years and it is all my fault.”

“I doubt that’s true,” she frowned.

I shook my head, aggressively disagreeing with her, “He invited me to every holiday, every birthday, I didn’t even know my nephews except for Instagram. I’m a fucking stranger to them.”

The stranger runs her fingers through my hair. It feels good but doesn’t exactly cure my aching heart. She was bold though, I’ll give her that. “What do you say we get out of here?” She asks. “I live right down the street. We can walk and I promise the cops won’t care if we’re both drunk.”

“I should go back to my hotel room.” That was the right answer. Not only was I mourning the loss of my brother, but I was drunk as hell. Thankfully, my large stature meant I could drink a lot before I got to the point of blacking out, but I still knew when I had too much. As much as I wanted to lose myself in this mysterious woman, going back to my hotel would be the better choice.

“Is that really what you want to do?” She turned her flirtatious mode back on and crooned in my ear. “Because I feel like you have some emotions you need to get out and I can probably help you with that.”

Her petite hand slides up my arm and over my chest. I give my pecs a little squeeze just for her, something that is almost second nature for me to do. “If I go home with you, I’m not going to go easy on you,” I stated. The least I could do is give her a warning. This wasn’t going to be some sexy romp in the sheets. I needed to fuck this bad day out of my system.

“Sounds like a challenge I’m willing to take, big boy.”

I let out a small growl and turn around to find the bartender. “Hey, can you cash me out?”

“Sure can!” She presses a few buttons on the register and then hands me a slip of paper to sign for the night. “Here you go, sweetheart.”

I sign the check and grab a hundred out of my wallet for a tip. I notice the look on the little brunette’s face. She probably doesn’t know who I am, but she knows that I have money. She better realize this night is just about an angry fuck and then I’m moving on. I’m not in the market for love. I need a girlfriend like Eskimos need ice. We stumble our way down the block and head up the stairs above some storefront. These small towns are weird as hell with their apartments on top of businesses.

The second the door closes my hands and lips are on her. She fights for control of our kiss, but I’m bigger and stronger and I don’t let her have the control. I grab her ass with my hands and lift her up. Her legs go around my waist and I break the kiss for just a moment. “Bedroom, honey?”

“Straight down the hallway,” she pants.

With ease, I carry her down the hallway and into her bedroom. I don’t even bother closing the door. I drop her on the bed and get to work stripping off our clothing. She’s got a good body, that’s for sure. I lean down and kiss her bare stomach, right above her pierced belly button.

“You got condoms, honey?”

She bites her bottom lip and looks up at me. “I’m clean.”

I laughed at her response. “I’m sure you are, sweet girl, but I always glove up. You can go ahead and suck my cock if you want, but if you want this dick anywhere near your pussy then I need a condom.”

I wasn’t the smartest kid in school, but trusting a woman to be on the pill was a fucking rookie mistake. More than one teammate of mine from high school on ended up attached to a chick for the rest of their lives because she wanted to go bare. Didn’t matter what kind of hurry I may be in, there is always time to slip on a condom.

She huffed, but gave in and grabbed one from her nightstand. Just as I promised her, there were no sweet pleasantries, foreplay, or promises of anything past one night. True to her word, she took everything I gave her and did so with fucking stars in her eyes. I made sure the night was worth it for both of us, even if the sex was for different reasons. When we were finally too exhausted to go any further, we both fell back onto the pillows.

Once I was sure she was asleep, I climbed out of her bed and searched around for my clothes. I think about leaving her a little note or something, but then I realize that I didn’t even care enough to get to know her name before I fucked her, so I doubt she really cares that I left.

I dig out my keys to the rental car that is still parked in front of the bar. No use trying to get to the hotel tonight, I guess I’m just sleeping in the truck. It’ll give me plenty of time to figure out where the fuck my life went so damn wrong. And how the fuck I’m going to go on without Max.