chapter seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Bonnie Shelia Bennett grinned before sliding her Queen to E1. "Check," She called out proudly, smiling down at the board. While this wasn't a game she had ever really excelled in, she and Henrik had spent the better part of two weeks trying to perfect her skill. Granted, she had still lost all but one game. And that win was only because Elijah felt sorry for her and took control of the last few moves she had to make.

Henrik glanced up at her before looking back down at the brown, checkered board. He moved his King from E8 efficiently both moving out of check and revealing his Rook that stood proudly behind the piece.

Bonnie saw the smirk he had on his lips, but for once, she knew she was prepared. He pushed her Bishop up one.

"Horrible, horrible play, Bon," Henrik teased. He pushed his. Rook all the way down, snatching the Bishop. Bonnie moved her paw diagonally once space, and, in turn, took Henrik's piece. Henrik countered fast, being able to remove Bonnie's most powerful piece because now, nothing was blocking him.

"Damn it!" Bonnie yelled. She groaned, trying to recover from Henrik taking her Queen. She moved one of her pawns over again, this time simply trying to make it to the end of the board to get one of her pieces back.

"You really do suck at this," Henrik snickered, pushing his Queen down two spaces. Bonnie's King, who was now being guarded by both of Henrik's Knights and two pawns, was now officially trapped. "Checkmate."

Before he could take the time to enjoy his win, the board went soaring through the air, shattering on the hardwood floor like glass.

The vampire and witch Chess duo both jumped up in shock. Automatically, Henrik dove in front of Bonnie, shielding her from any upcoming attacks. One perk he realized soon with being a vampire is that ordinary pains didn't affect him. 

"You say in our house, enjoying our luxuries and you betray us? What the hell?" 

Bonnie's eyes dimed in confusion. She knew Kol hated her for what happened to him, but for once, she did nothing that warranted his anger. "Me? What could I have possibly done now?" 

Henrik, desperate to protect Bonnie, flashed up the stairs, appearing within seconds with the only person he knew could help. Releasing Henrik's arm, Klaus appeared in front of Bonnie, daring Kol to take another step. 

He grabbed Kol by his shoulders, pushing him away when his distance to Bonnie got worrisome. "Enough of whatever this temper tantrum is about." He flashed over to him, grabbing him by the neck and holding him against the wall. 

"Brother, release him," Elijah commanded. 

Speeding over to her husband faster than the speed of light, Elyza took her husband's arms in hers. She cracked her neck, willing to be there for both support and in case she had to defend him against anyone. "What the hell happened?" 

"I was doing as you both asked of me," Kol started, looking between Klaus and Elijah both.  "In searching for the cure, I was met with the perfectly alive voice of Elena bloody Gilbert. If I wasn't mistaken, you ripped her to shreds within moments of entering that blasted house." 

Klaus furrowed his eyebrows, letting his brother go completely. He turned slowly, his eyes connecting with Bonnie's. She was the only powerful person in the world willing to go to such great lengths to bring back the doppelganger. 

Bonnie backed up, raising her hands in surrender. Shaking her head furiously, she quickly denied what everyone's eyes were accusing her of. "I didn't-"