Chapter 4

The next day at school was better than before. I sat outside with my new found friends and talked before we had to go inside. I soon heard a car pull up, and it was the Cullens. When I looked over, I only saw Alice, Emmet, Jasper, and Rosalie. Edward was nowhere to be found. Thank god. I thought. I wouldn't be able to stand him another day. So yeah, the absence of Edward made my day much better. The day after that, no show. And after that? No show. I was cruising without him here. One morning, I was waiting for my father to return with my truck. It was early and I had to be at school very soon. Once he did pull up, I walked out to see him. He hopped out of the driver's side and shut the door with a bang. 

     "Hey, N/N. Your old tires were getting pretty bald, so I had some new ones put on," he said looking at the tires.

     "Oh thanks dad," I smiled as I approached him. 

     "Of course. But I wanted to let you know, I'm gonna be late for dinner. A security guard at the Grisham Mill got killed by some kind of animal,"

     "An animal?" I asked.

     "You're not in H/T anymore, Y/N," he said as he opened the car door of his police car.

     "Well... be careful," I said.

     "Always am." he finished.

     I then drove myself to school in the rain. And fortunately, my tires didn't slip on the road. New tires were a good idea. I parked my truck, and went inside the school. Once I had arrived at my biology class, a certain someone was there. I grumbled and hesitantly walked over to the lab table. I set my things down, and looked forward. All he could do was stare. Then, a mysterious voice came from out of nowhere. It was his. I didn't know he could speak.

     "Hello," he said, attempting to be friendly, "I'm sorry, I didn't get a chance to introduce myself last week. I'm Edward Cullen. You're Y/N?"

     I looked at him like he was an alien, "Yep,"

     It was incredibly awkward, but we ended up doing our classwork with occasional side chatter. I didn't really start any kind of conversation with him, but he tried with me. He even asked me about the weather, and when I told him "you're asking me about the weather?" he got a look of embarrassment and regret. I could care less. My mind only wandered to Jacob. Sure, I hadn't seen him in awhile, but my mind lingered on him almost every day. Whenever I got home from school I would hope that he and his father, Billy, were here having drinks with my dad. But it never came true.

     One thing about Edward that I noticed when I saw him was that his irises were yellow and not black like the first time I had seen him. I didn't know if he was some weirdo or not who wore contacts, but it scared me. The next day while sitting out by my truck I was listening to music peacefully. Then I looked over, and across the parking lot was Edward staring at me. I shook it off until I heard screeching, and a navy blue van came into view. The sound of it hurt my ears and panic set in quickly as I saw it head straight for me. I fell to the ground out of fear completely expecting to be squished against my truck, but it never happened. Instead, in an instant, Edward was in between me and the van. I could hear everyone in the parking lot freak out about the accident, but my eyes were fixated on him. His hand made a huge dent in the door and the tail end of the van dented my truck's wheelhouse. My heart was racing in fear, confusion, and panic. I just couldn't believe what I saw. He then got up, released me from his grasp, and left me there totally confused and distressed. When I got up everyone crowded around me, but I only wanted to speak with Edward. I wanted answers, but the cops were already on their way with an ambulance. 

     I earned a trip to the hospital where my father came in really pissed, and I met Carlisle, or Dr. Cullen. He was tall and looked pretty good for his age. He had slick-back blonde hair and dark brown eyes. He had a warm smile on him as he observed my eyes and assessed for any injuries. His face was quite chiseled, but I never saw the resemblance between him and Edward. He was quite professional, and friendly towards me and my father. On the other hand, my father made sure that the kid who almost killed me got his license taken away. When I was clear to go, I even interrogated Edward about it, but he gaslit me. What a manipulative little shit. I thought. That night, I was in my room just resting when my dad knocked on my door. I got up and answered it to see him against the door frame like usual.

     "You have a visitor," he said with a smirk.

     "Huh? Who?" I asked.

     "Billy's son, Jacob. I told Billy what happened, and Jacob overheard. He wants to make sure you're okay,"

     My heart fluttered a little bit, "Oh okay,"

     I walked past my father and down the stairs. I saw a familiar long-haired boy in the living room. He sat on the couch hunched over and resting his elbows on his knees.

     "You wanted to see me?" I asked,

     His head whipped around, "Yeah, I heard what happened at the high school," he got up and walked over, "Are you okay?"

     I smiled, "Yeah, I'm fine honestly. This weird kid from school saved me," I said as I walked to the sofa and sat down.

     He followed and sat next to me, "Tell me what happened,"

     "Well," I looked into his eyes, "This morning I was just out by the truck and I was leaning on the side just getting ready for school. I looked up and I saw the guy, Edward Cullen, across the parking lot. And I mean like he was far. Then, the van came screeching around the corner and it was coming right for me. Next thing I knew, I was crouched on the ground and Edward was between me and the van. And his hand completely crushed the side of this kid's van,"

    I noticed that whenever I mentioned Edward, his eyes twitched. At the time, I didn't know why, but now I do.

    "He just came over so quickly, and I had no idea how. He was across the parking lot!" I said, not believing my own words.

     "I believe you, don't worry," he smiled, "but I know who Edward is. And if I were you, I'd stay away,"

     "Oh yeah, I know. I've already been keeping my distance," I chuckled.

     He flashed his teeth at me in a smile and asked if I wanted to grab some food. I agreed and we went in the truck. I drove us to the diner down the street and we bonded over almost every aspect of our life. I was absolutely head over heels for him after that night. We talked about so much together and bonded over so many things. We shared the same interests in almost everything, and we both had a smile on our face. He had such a fun and loving personality, and I learned so much about him. He made sure he asked me almost every question in the book, and I answered as wholeheartedly as I could. Soon, I dropped him off at the reservation, and we said our goodbyes. Before he left though he asked for my number. I said yes and gave it to him without hesitation. He smiled brightly, and told me to get home safe. I did, and once I got home I fell into a deep slumber yet again.