49. Bowling and Deep Conversations

Our date is so much fun. Alex is a spectacular bowler, and although I recall being a solid player, I realize my last experience bowling was during childhood. I lose every game despite putting forth my best effort, and I appreciate that it doesn't occur to Alex to go easy on me or let me win.

I've rarely ever seen him in attire beyond sports pants and baggy t-shirts; tonight he is so handsome in dark blue khaki shorts and a white short-sleeved button down shirt that contrasts with his tan skin. As I stand close to him while he inputs the data into the machine for our second round, I notice the shirt is scattered with volleyball designs—tiny embroideries of balls and nets.

He catches me observing him and offers a sly smile, presumably imagining I'm checking out his fit body. Alex is slender and not overly muscular (which I prefer—perfect bodies annoy me), but he's toned from all the sports he does.

"It's a volleyball shirt," I remark.

"Yeah, I thought it was fitting, given how we met." He winks at me.

I had hoped to wear the other new dress Mom recently purchased for me, but I opted for shorts so I could move more comfortably to bowl without worrying about showing off too much of myself on accident. Maybe there will be another date, and I can wear my dress.

Several times throughout the evening, I notice Alex noticing me, staring at my long, exposed legs for brief moments. He doesn't exactly blush; his face doesn't redden, but his expression shifts like he's holding a bursting excitement just below the surface. I never thought a guy could look at me this way.

"I told my mom about us," I inform Alex as we settle next to each other in the seats after our second round to take a rest. His eyes widen.

"How did that go?" The softness in his voice betrays his concern.

"She seemed completely fine with it." I smile and peer at him; our eyes swirl together in a moment of connection.

Alex exhales a heavy breath. "That's a huge relief." His smile widens, slyness painting his features, and he doodles idly with his finger over my hands. "I also told my mom about you. A year ago."

"Really?"

"Yep. I knew I liked you a lot, from the beginning."

Rainbow unicorns gallop through my chest, threatening to puncture my heart with their glittery, magical horns. I forget to respond to Alex, and he clears his throat expectantly.

"Oh!" I giggle. "You already know how much I liked you, I think."

"It was hard to tell. You were basically just nervous. So I didn't know if you were feeling the same attraction I was, or if I was totally terrifying you."

"You were totally terrifying me, in a good way."

This makes him laugh, and he pulls me in for an eager hug.

"Let's go?" he suggests, humming low into my ear, which sends shivers down my body. "I really want to kiss you soon."

My stomach balloons with excitement. As electrifying as all the covert interactions and secret touches and elaborate word-decoding of the past year has been, it's a giant relief to be out in a public space with Alex, knowing for certain how we both feel about one another.

In the car, Alex surprises me again by revealing a sliver of vulnerability I didn't know was plaguing him.

"You don't think it's weird that I live with my mom?"

"What? No, why would I? You realize I live with my mom, too," I jab.

"True." A momentary falsetto laugh billows out light as a feather. "I hadn't thought about that."