VIII. The Truth Always Comes Out

★ eight ,
the truth always
comes out

MELBOURNE
       september 2022

*ੈ✩‧₊˚      ODESSA HATED herself, she knew what she was doing was wrong. how she wasn't just lying to herself, but every single person that cared for her. but she couldn't sit there and wait silently for her life to start up again, she wanted to be back on the court. she wanted the crowd to go crazy after she got a two shot goal within those last five minutes of the end of every suncorp quarter. she was that feeling again. she didn't want to be locked up in the box she felt like she was in, she wanted to experience the world for what it once was.

she fucked it big time. it was a natural reaction, when her body started to collapse in pain, she always took painkillers. she hated pain, she wanted it to be gone as soon as possible.

she felt it. she didn't want it to be true, that she had done something to her ACL again. but she felt the pull, the way she collapsed. the way she laid still in her bedroom floor because she couldn't get up for six hours. she couldn't do it, she laid still on her carpeted floor and sobbed. knowing she had fucked herself over.

it was the only time she had felt it, she took those painkillers that day. she lied, broke her unpromised moral of telling the doctor if something happened. she lied and continued to fight against her injury, she didn't tell a soul. not even sam. odessa continued to train with sam nearly every day, she was in the pool when she wasn't with sam. this last month mattered, she had been given a date she could return to the courts. and she was working her ass off it get to it.

odessa had never been a good liar, but the lie slipped through her teeth like it was the truth. when she smiled at the doctor, and forced herself to believe that it wasn't true. she didn't feel any pain from the area.

the doctor let go off her leg. sinclair nodded his head "you're all good, no signs of struggle and the muscle area seems to be healed. give it a week, and you're back on court miss. buckley"

those were the best words she had ever heard someone say in the past ten months. that she could join the swifts on court following their game against the melbourne vixions in melbourne.

odessa gulped softly. sending him a brave smile "thank you so much sir, this means the world to me"

*ੈ✩‧₊˚           A WEEK.

odessa hummed, jumping up and down as the music to taylor swifts 'new romantics' boomed against the walls of sam's apartment.

"you know what, i think i should make us some spaghetti sandwiches" sam proposed.

odessa came to a pause, a glare planted on her face "never again. i think subway is perfectly fine for the both of us."

sam rolled her eyes with a scoff. "would you stop dancing in my kitchen? you're distracting me" she cried out, motioning her head towards the first book in the ACOTAR series.

"join me and you'll have fun" odessa extended her hands with a pleading look. sam sighed, knowing she couldn't not take the girls hand.

odessa smiled, leading them back to the kitchen. her laugh echoed through the air, and her hair bounced with every jump. she tilted her head "just jump up and down" she told sam.