Chapter 16: Another One Bites The Dust

She turned around, the road ahead barely visible but she could see a silhouette in front of her. Hanabi yelled out, asking the figure to wait for her, as well as who they were. The long flowing hair was unmistakable, as well as the slender frame and the playful laughter that seemed to echo along the street; the person was her sister.

"Hinata! Wait, please, don't leave me behind." She reached out, trying to run faster but it felt as though she had been stagnant all along. She watched with pain filled eyes as the figure got further and further away.

Waking up with a start, Hanabi gasped and looked around, making sure that she was safe. The sound of thunder rocked through the house, shaking the foundation and rattling her bones. Running a hand over her face, she reached for the bedside lamp and turned it on. It took a few minutes for her to get up, the darkness from beyond her windows letting her know that it was still very much night.

Throwing her sheets to the side, she got up and went to the bathroom to wash her face. Staring at her disheveled self in the mirror, she groaned and wet her face once more. A very strong sense of dread had been getting to her for the past week, and her dreams would be the same; she would be chasing Hinata but never catching up.

Hanabi hadn't told anyone about it simply because she didn't think it was that important. It was just her anxiety getting to her as weeks turned to months since she's seen her sister.

Walking down the stairs whilst tying her hair into a bun, she noticed the light on in the living room and got curious. Peeking inside, she saw Sasuke laying there with a hand thrown over his face. Had he not gone home when he said he would?

Approaching the sleeping man, she poked his cheek a few times, hoping to wake him and remind him to go home. He had stopped by earlier that day to have a few drinks with Neji and her father, of course, she wasn't allowed to join at her young age. She figured that he had gone home since no one said anything, but he was most likely wasted.

"Of all days you decide to be a heavy sleeper, it's tonight." She mumbled and stood up straight.

Just as she was about to turn and leave him alone, his phone vibrated against the coffee table. She waited a few seconds, not knowing whether to let it go to voicemail or not, but seeing Jiraiya's name flash on the screen, she picked it up. It was nearly one in the morning, what would the man possibly want?

"Sasuke." Jiraiya spoke up.

Hanabi walked out of the living room, standing in the hall as she cupped the mic of the phone so she was able to speak without being too loud. "This is Hanabi, he's asleep right now."

"Oh...You're her younger sister."

"Is something wrong with Hinata? Did you find her?" Hanabi spoke quickly, pacing the hall as she waited for him to stop laughing nervously.

"I think it's a better idea to put Sasuke on the phone."

"I told you that he was asleep. Besides, if it has to do with my sister, then I am obligated to know." She glared at the front door, imagining the older man in front of her. "You can't keep me in the dark, what's happening with my sister?"

"Hanabi, is it? Please, hand the phone to—"

The beeping of the phone cut the call short. The screen turned black as the dead battery was put on display. Cursing under her breath, she clenched her hands and was about to return the device to the living room but as she turned around, she walked right into a tired and annoyed Sasuke.

"What were you doing?" He asked, snatching his phone out of her hand. He didn't bother to look at it, knowing that it had long since died.

"You got a phone call." She answered simply, pushing past him. "I answered it because you weren't waking up."