Run Like Hell

Yelena was exhausted by the end of the 8 days working at the hospital. The three on call days were challenging but she would never complain. Growing up the way she had, she learned to never whine about her situation in life because it could always be worse. The motto stuck with her through her military career even when she was faced with the hardest decision she had ever had to make. Besides getting to run her own surgeries while Maria was off, the highlight of her week was the late night texts shared with her favorite patient. There would be daily updates about her cast as well as many pictures of her new furry friend, Lucky. Yelena wasn't exactly an optimistic person which made things interesting in surgery. She was confident in her abilities but she was a realist. She was trying not to get too friendly with Kate so quickly but she was the one who called it a date and game day had arrived or whatever it was the Americans said to pump themselves up. They were meeting at the Empire State Building at noon so that meant she had to get her ass moving.

"Wanda?" She called out from her bedroom. "Did you leave yet?"

She heard her call back, "not yet. What do you need?"

Yelena was thankful her sister was already at work. The amount of teasing from Natasha would've been enough for her to call Kate and cancel. She decided not to mention anything at home until after seeing how it went. "I need your help," she finally swallowed her pride and heard her roommate walking towards her bedroom door.

Wanda came in and saw the blonde looking distressed, "what's wrong?"

"I feel like an idiot," Yelena sat down on the edge of her bed.

"I'm going to need a little context but I'm safe to bet that you are not an idiot," Wanda gave her a smile that seemed to have an immediate calming effect.

Yelena hated that about her. It was as if Wanda could see through all her walls straight into her emotions. "Stop doing that thing."

"What are you talking about, dear?" She tried to contain her smile.

"That thing you do. You know exactly what I'm talking about. It's like you have this superpower and you can understand exactly what I'm thinking and feeling. I hate it," Yelena pouted.

"No you don't," Wanda walked over and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, "now what do you need help with and what does this have to do with Kate Bishop?"

Yelena's jaw dropped, "definitely superhero bullshit. I sort of asked Kate out today."

"On a date?"

"I said it's a date but I don't know if I meant it as a date date. I have no expectations of what will happen today." She waited for Wanda to say something but she knew the older woman was waiting on her, "she said she was going to take me to some tourist places then we could get pizza and watch some tv at her apartment. Is that a date?"

"That definitely sounds like date criteria," Wanda chuckled. "Is this what you are wearing?"

Yelena looked down at her workout clothes, "no? I have to hop in the shower real quick. I wasn't sure what to wear."

"Go get in the shower, dear. I'll look through your clothes and pick something out."

Yelena looked unsure but ultimately time won, "fine."

Wanda watched her leave, pulling out her cell phone to text her girlfriend.

Wanda (10:48am): your sister is the cutest.

Natasha (10:54am): Listen I know she's my sister and yes she is very cute but if that girl is moving in on my woman I will come home and mark my territory. Don't think I won't pee on you.