Nobody's Daughter

MAMA SAID | 1

MAMA SAID | 1.2
"THAT WAS AWESOME"
mackenzie blake | 2012

2"THAT WAS AWESOME"mackenzie blake | 2012

Mackenzie could practically feel her eyelids weighing down on her. After what happened last night, she hadn’t gotten much sleep still. Her father — just like every other night this had happened — would suddenly stop hugging her, lean back, eyes glossed over and then get up and head back to bed without a word. Like nothing had happened or had ever happened. Just like always. And Mackenzie would have to accept it and then never speak about it.

She’d once tried to bring it up in conversation, but her father had dodged her questions until he was yelling and that was enough to scare her into never bringing it up again. She would just have to let it keep happening, let him think what he wanted to think for a couple minutes, a couple nights every month, and for the rest of the time she could just be her. The thing was, she was really starting to hate the fact that she was her.

If she was anyone else, maybe she’d be happier. If she was anyone else, maybe she wouldn’t have to deal with this. If she was anyone else, maybe her father would be able to look her in the eye and love her as her. But she wasn’t anyone else, so here she was, walking alongside the back of the walls of Woodbury, wasting her time. She was taking a break from her book, trying to savor it for as long as she could because she didn’t know how many books Milton actually had left to let her borrow.