Chapter 1

I was staying at the palace once again. I was in my old room and the rest of my family was in a company room. Of course, the bedrooms didn't look the same, but that didn't make the matter much better anyways.

All of the selected girls were there as well. All in their old rooms. Honestly, if reminded me of when the selection started and we were all together. But we were most definitely not here for the same reason as being apart of the selection. We were all here for the funerals of the royals.

Amelia's would come first. Her funeral was scheduled in the next few days. King Jacob and Queen Marcy would share a funeral next week. Ryan's would come last; about a week and a half away.

Chelsea and Karen were here too. They sat with me, but did not treat me like they were my maids. They treated me as friends. It was tremendously different, especially to see all of the girls wearing jeans and t-shirts.

In the meantime, I laid and cried in the old bed I used to lay in. We were not allowed to go outside our rooms in fright we would get attacked by paparazzi and reporters. The hallways were still in pieces and rubble and we were permitted to stay inside.

"Emily, can I help in any way? I understand how hard this is," Chelsea spoke.

I didn't respond.

"Emily."

"I want to see the selected."

"They are no longer the selected, Emily."

"I want to see them."

"Please wait for the announcement. I'm sure we can go out there soon and see everybody," Karen chimed.

We left it at that. We never said another word until an official came knocking on the door to let us out. As soon as he did so, I jumped out and ran straight to Amity, who was sitting on a couch in the ladies room.

"Emily!"

"Amity!"

We embraced each other in a bear hug. It felt so good to be with a best friend once again, especially when it feels like I've lost everything.

"I've missed you so much! Has anything changed since we last saw each other?!" She hollered with a wink.

Obviously she already knew about my elimination, being shot, being depressed, and my overwhelming heartbreak. I'd rather not take the time to sit and speak about it. However, with Amity being my best friend, she was already up to date.

I chuckled and smiled at her. She was wearing bootcut jeans and a plain grey t-shirt. It was strange, but we all can't be in dresses all the time.

"I can't even believe what happened. It doesn't feel real yet," Amity shook her head.

"I know. And it's my fault, really. Something made Ryan feel like we weren't right together, and when he picked Amelia over me, the rebels went nuts. They let their anger out on them because of me," I sighed.

"That's not true. It can't be your fault. You don't control the rebels."

"But I could have. Remember that plan I came up with? About stopping rebels for good? Of course it was crazy in the moment, but it could have been useful in this case."

"Emily, don't act like this."

"Like how?"

"Childish. It's not your fault and if you want to believe it is then be my guest. But I know the truth."

She held my hand for a moment and then get go. She turned toward Jane who I blankly smiled at.

I sighed, seeping to fathom that she was right. But something told me that this isn't over. There is still something missing that needs to be discovered. Ryan needs to be discovered.

"Hey, Emily!" Hannah called from behind me.

"Hannah!"

I hugged her as well, and as doing so I mentioned her feet, "Is it better now?" I asked sincerely.

I remembered standing next to her when the paramedics helped her feet that were burned with boiling water. Jessica's doing, obviously.

"Yes, they don't hurt, but they are pretty scarred up."

"I just still can't believe you were eliminated for it. After all, I was shot and he didn't eliminated me."

She gave me a look that read "are you stupid" and said, "C'mon. He didn't eliminate you for a reason. Obviously he wanted you and I would've been eliminated anyways."

"Well if he wanted me so bad how come he didn't marry me?" I leaned to the side and shrugged while I put a phony smile on as well.

She rolled her eyes and breathed out a laugh.

Kathleen stood next to her and placed her arms on Hannah's shoulders. She was tall, I could not lie. Even without the heels she seemed so.

"And how have you been?" I asked Kathleen.

"Decent. I was a six growing up, and even though I'm supposedly a three now, I'm still expected to work at the farm we have at home. My caste may change, but my treatment as a six hasn't."

"Really?" I ask honestly surprised, "I thought you'd be know as the girl who was in the top four for the selection!" I bumped my hand to her arm, "No longer a six."

"You'd think."

I gave her a twisted smile and a shrug. Apparently people can surprise you, and I've learned that all too well.

"So... It's just the three of us now?" Hannah mentioned slowly as she looked down.

"No Amelia," Kathleen added softly and stare away from us.

"Were you guys still friends after we left?" Hannah asked.

"Yes, we tried to be. But there was a lot of drama, so it was difficult. Eventually, though, our friendship was ruined by the obnoxious French princess, Blair," I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms, "Although, she wanted to continue to be my friend before the proposal, but I refused."

"Why?" Hannah blurted.

Kathleen nudged her, understanding what I meant.

"What?" She looked up at Kathleen.

"I couldn't. It hurt too much," I explained.

"Oh," she came to the realization, "I'm sorry. That must be a spot that hurts and I'm sorry I had to-"

"No, it's fine," I insisted, "it's not your fault."

She sighed and frowned.

"Maybe I should go anyway. I haven't got to see everyone yet," I excused myself.

She was right. It was a spot that hurt. I'd rather leave the room, and my friends, then continue to listen to what I've been through. I walked out of the ladies room, where we were all huddled, and made my way back to my own room.

I wouldn't be staying at the palace long, but I tried to savor every moment of it. It hurt to be at the place where my heart was broken, but it also felt great for all the wrong reasons.

EXTRA:
OMG thank you guys so much for continuing to read the second book! :) thanks for actually caring enough 😂 please comment what you thought of the first chapter! Love youhhhh 💞
( btw I'm really sorry I couldn't update sooner! I had quite a busy week! lol enjoy :) )