Chapter 16: Livia

R-18

Livia's mind raced as she wondered why King Orion had suddenly decided to visit the human kingdom. With a feather duster still in her hand, she paced the room, unnoticed by the prince, who was preoccupied with political visitors. She couldn't help but think that if there was any buzz among the staff about the arrival of the vampire king, she would have heard it and made preparations in advance. Perhaps she could have even feigned illness to avoid work during their visit. Now faced with this unexpected situation, Livia contemplated her options. She had always been careful to keep a low profile and avoid arousing suspicion from others while going about her duties. Livia worked hard to stay away from curious eyes and worked alone mostly so she wouldn't interact with others and avoid socializing by any means. No one knew more than her name, and that's how she liked it.

The palace had become her home, and leaving it felt like she was running away again. She was tired of living in fear, longing for a place where she could exist peacefully and undisturbed. Time and time again, however, something would come crashing through and disrupt her life, almost as though some higher power wanted her to suffer for eternity. Was this all a test that she needed to pass in order to live happily ever after? She wanted to take charge of her own life and set her own course instead of being directed by others or whatever higher power might be out there.

Furiously waving the feather duster back and forth, Livia seethed with internal anger as frustration consumed her. Having grown up in the Lycan kingdom, she had developed a hardened indifference towards insults, ridicule, and harassment. Refusing to provide them with any further amusement since that dreadful day whenshehad disrupted everything for Livia.

But now, things were different. Livia was determined to devise a plan that would finally bring her the long-awaited tranquility she had always yearned for. Throughout her life, everything had been taken away from her.

However, she was unsure of what to do next. The thought of encountering the vampire king once again was daunting. Although he had provided her with refuge and security, she suspected that he had a hidden agenda. Evidently, his intention was to hand her over to the Lyans in exchange for something valuable. What could he possibly desire in return? Lost in contemplation, she absentmindedly pressed her moist index finger against her lips. Despite being drenched in sweat and overheated from overstressing herself, she paid no attention to it, too lost in thought.

A chill ran through her body as she reflected on the memories of her escape from the Lycan Kingdom. It had been an act of providence that she got away unscathed, but then the ghastly truth came out. Livia heard, weeks later, after arriving in the human kingdom, how one of the Lycan guards was found impaled with a rusty pole through his chest in a cell and how a mysterious prisoner had slipped away, aided by John, the traitorous Lycan who had helped her get out alive. The news soon followed that John had met his demise at the hands of Claec, the temporary standing leader, without even getting a chance to present his case in court. Luckily, she was never found out, and she never felt any remorse for the heinous act she committed to that Lycan guard. That day felt like it would last forever as Livia fought her emotions, sorrow being the most prominent feeling. She mourned for the man who had done so much for her and gotten killed because of it.

Gripping the tool with her tight fingers, her nails digging into her calloused palms, she was frozen in fear as the shadows enveloped her. She had saved all her money except for a few necessary items for changing her appearance, but would it be enough to run far away this time? A chill ran down her spine; if they found her again, she knew escape would be impossible, and there would be no one to come to her rescue. Panic seized her heart as she considered whether fleeing was even an option.

Fear rose in her throat like bile, coursing through her veins like a poison. No matter how much she tried to control it, her heart raced erratically against her chest, the beat pounding in her ears like a hammer on an anvil. With trembling fingers, she wiped away the sweat that had flooded her forehead, leaving only smeared makeup in its wake. At last, she sucked in a deep breath and closed her eyes, allowing the cool air to fill her lungs and bring her back from the edge of desperation.