1.0

ashton

The sound of a door slamming wakes me up and I roll over onto my stomach, covering my head with a pillow. My alarm immediately starts going off and I hear another door slam. I slowly open my eyes to be met with the sun staring right back at me. My black curtains are pulled all the way open and the bright sun is shining through the glass, unnecessarily blinding my precious eyes.

"Ashy!"

This motivates me to get my ass out of bed. I quickly run to my sister's room, only to find that her door is closed and locked. I lightly tap on the door. "Lina?"

There is no response.

"Lina! Are you in there?" I knock on the door again, harder this time. "Li-"

"Go away! I'm trying to sleep!" Her muffled voice sends a huge wave of relief flooding over me and I remember the time on my alarm clock.

8:46.

"Come on! We have to leave in forty-four minutes!" I know that means nothing to her, so I decide to...add some icing to the cake. "I made pancakes!"

There is a short silence and after a few moments, her door opens just a tad bit and she scrunches her nose. "I don't smell anything."

I open her door all the way to be met with the pouting seven-year-old. "Okay... Well maybe I didn't make any. But if you get ready fast enough we can stop by Mickey D's, yeah?"

She squeals and hops up and down. "Yay! Yay! Yay!"

I roll my eyes and trudge back into my mess of a room, pulling a black t-shirt over my head. As I lie on my bed, I can hear Lina humming some song from Frozen. I really don't understand what all the fuss over that movie was. The only fuss I made was complaining over the twenty dollars I wasted for the two of us to go see it at the theatre.

Twenty dollars for two movie tickets and one tiny box of chocolates! That is simply outrageous.

Something suddenly hits me. If Lina was asleep, what was that slamming? And who was yelling my name? We actually do have a neighbour, Ella. Maybe what I heard was her and her boyfriend fighting. They've been doing that quite a lot these days, and it's been upsetting Lina, because she loves being with her so much. That's been causing me to become upset, because who in their right mind would enjoy seeing a little girl cry over someone else's fight?

Who?

Definitely not me, that's for sure.

"Ashton! Ashy, I'm dressed!" She comes running into my room in some black leggings and a black and white long sleeve Nirvana shirt. She already has on her neon pink Vans. When I took her to buy them, she insisted on getting the black laces. Not gonna lie, for a seven-year-old, she has pretty good fashion sense.

"Did you brush your teeth?" I raise an eyebrow.

She bites her lip and fiddles with her slim fingers. "Um... I- I ate a mint...?"

I can't help the laugh that escapes my lips and I bare my teeth at her. "Go brush those disgusting teeth of yours."

She giggles and runs off back into the hallway. I listen as the water turns on and her One Direction toothbrush starts singing 'What Makes You Beautiful'. Her high-pitched girl voice hums along to their high-pitched, fetus boy band voices.

I don't even hear a difference.

The water, music, and her humming simultaneously stops. The sound of her tiny feet running back towards my room makes a steady rhythm, and it is actually quite calming.