The Price of Fame || Chapter 45

wreka_stow

1998

Mayte Garcia

Comedian Sinbad hosted the VIBE television program.

The Artist made an appearance to promote his latest album, "New Power Soul", but oddly enough, I was just invited to this green room.

Before commercials ran again, he performed this great medley with "Let's Work" and "Delirious." A jamming guitar break ended this set, too.

"We've had Larry Graham and Chaka Khan in the house, but I've got one more surprise for you, Brother." Sinbad lifted his finger on screen.

"I could stay here forever, man. It's a lot of fun." The Artist chuckled again, and this crowd went wild, listening to anything else.

"My last guest tonight holds one of the sharpest pens in show business today. She's interviewed everyone from Michael Jackson or Whitney Houston to Mary J. Blige and The Funkateer himself. Ladies and gentlemen...show your love for legendary Entertainment Journalist Rochelle Davis!" Sinbad revealed this introduction, and I nearly screamed.

No one even told us that Rochelle was coming!

As she walked down careful steps, one leather jacket draped over a midriff top. Matching pants almost shined on set.

When she smiled towards this crowd and greeted everyone, I wanted to cry.

The Artist moved that cane elsewhere and opened both sleeved arms, rocking an overdue embrace with his best friend.

Rochelle never backed away from him this time.

I could only imagine these two felt as a pair right now.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He brought out one silly voice and faced Rochelle after they both sat down together. Sinbad cackled.

"Surprise!" Rochelle offered a perfect lipstick smile.

Before long, the show ended with screaming fans and rolled credits.

***

Their reunion became one big party.

During a special one-off show in London, Chaka, Larry, and even rapper Doug E. Fresh had joined The Artist on stage.

While Chaka and The Artist covered "Baby, I Love You" by Aretha Franklin, Rochelle lost it, jokingly shouting in the front row. This crowd squealed.

"You better sing!" She cheered, prompting her ex to side this microphone and make full-blown eye contact. Everyone hushed.

"Baby, baby, baby, I love you." He played that guitar while still singing perfectly, ending this cover with Chaka's voice.

***

After that show, with The Artist excited from hilarious stage-diving, happiness continued.

This "Jam Of The Year" tour would finally end, but they didn't care, visiting each other more than ever these days.

Something must've changed for him and Rochelle after the television interview for VIBE with Sinbad.

I still didn't know what to think, but smiled anyway.

In Vegas, he performed "How Come You Don't Call Me" behind his grand piano and Rochelle stood feet away, just taking it in.

"Ya'll have no idea." The Artist spoke into his microphone, laughing. "She used to get mad at me about this one." Both Rochelle and this audience screamed, just tickled.

***

Good times kept rolling.

I'd already sobbed in this audience when The Artist laid out one powerful rendition of "The Cross" during the Essence Awards.

Another wonderful comedian and personality, Chris Rock, honored him later that night. I still kept waiting in my seat, smiling all throughout this beautiful tribute.

"Thank you Susan Taylor and the Essence family. Larry Graham Chaka Khan, Chris Rock? Much love to you." The Artist began his speech, shy. My own heart warmed up.

"Yes!" People cheered.

"Getting all these awards is good, but it really matters so much more to help somebody else and put something worthwhile into the Bank of Heaven." The Artist expressed humility, not grieving.

You're healing. I thought to myself.

"Um, before leaving, I'd also like to thank my wife Rochelle-Davis-Nelson. No matter what, you're the best thing that's ever happened to me, girl. I love you so much." The Artist knocked right down on that podium, even adding Rochelle's married last name on purpose!

I almost broke down and nearly turned away from cameras, but still acknowledged Rochelle. Joyful tears ruined my makeup.

She stood from her own seat and waved to everyone sitting near the front row, blowing kisses toward her ex regardless.

Only shared unity made a difference now.

***
This tour was done at last in California and NPG pulled all the stops.

Classic "1999" ended the show. Even Rochelle joined background singers, encouraging The Artist to groove at this finale.

"I love you, baby." He embraced her backstage, just thankful.

***

Sometime later, reports spurred up again:

"Reunited? The Artist may feature showbiz writer and ex-wife Rochelle Davis in his upcoming music video for The One."

Best news I'd heard in quite a while.

Maybe second chances were real.

______

For the shoot, he shut almost everyone out, just giving access to his own entourage and a special camera team.

Romance on the beach. His wife looked absolutely gorgeous as she walked and sang with him, smiling through joy during this ballad.

Across white sand, my heart dropped, knowing that my own time near The Artist would end soon.

***

When the music video debuted, I was no longer associated with Paisley Park.

Even Rochelle didn't say goodbye.