And Such A Pretty Garden

It was no secret that Jeongins favorite time of year was summer.

And ever since he moved out from his parents house and became independent, he had begun to grow a garden in his backyard. Taking care of his plants like he would a child, knowing just how much water each plant needed and what soil to use.

One of his friends, Felix, always came over to watch him do gardening. He had said it calmed him down, which he did appreciate. He found it easiest to sing or hum while working his hands in the dirt, and it was almost as if the wind made a duet while making the flowers bounce from side to side.

Needless to say, he loved his homemade garden.

The hardest part was to assemble his own bench, he tried to call one of his oldest friends over to help him, but he was met with 30 different excuses why dancers' hands shouldn't get dirty or rough. The same excuse came from his other friend, no surprise there.

Felix was the only one willing to help him, calling Hyunjin and Minho lazy and even brought his own tools for the job.

Jeongin had painted each individual plank and Felix helped with the sandpaper machine and to assemble it with screws and bolts.

Once it was finally finished after a few days, they both sat down to drink on it, reminiscing old stories to each other and watching as the sun disappeared. Jeongin felt at peace right here in the garden.

On stormy days he prayed that no lightning would hit anything and on dry days he would pray for a bit of rain to come. Felix slowly did have to start his own assistance job and stopped coming as frequently as he had done before, which left him rather lonely.

He didn't work at the moment after everything that had happened last year, and he would rather stay home so he could walk in his garden and appreciate every flower and plant.

One day.

One sunny day.

Someone was on his bench, not turning to look at him when he approached and certainly not opening his eyes. Maybe he was asleep or simply just taking in the sun which was hitting right in his face. When Jeongin tried to get his attention by calling, it worked, the man turning to look at him slowly.

"Hello."

A simple hello which made Jeongin almost fall back. Not because of the word or the simplicity, but because this was a very very handsome guy. A confused look painted the guy's face like it wasn't he who was in his garden without permission. Between the pink and red flowers and right in the middle of the bench he made.

Despite singing on a daily basis and warming his voice up every morning to keep his voice active, was it like his words got caught. His breath heavier than before, and instead of asking why and where, instead of the wise questions, all he could mutter out was a,

"Hi."

A simple greeting, and while a moment passed between the two boys who could only stare at each other, not knowing what the other thought and not knowing which bird was chirping up in the trees above them.

And while another moment passed, a wind blew through the flowers, through their hair, and through the air that they shared.

"This is my house."

"I know."

Like the earth held its breath, the same did Jeongin. And he could finally exhale when the other boy looked away, staring at the flowers from across them, a curious finger pointing toward them, "I like those."

Jeongin nodded, "Blue Iris."

The boy nodded slowly, like he was drinking every detail of the flowers, his eyes shining brightly as he pointed towards different flowers and Jeongin answered all the questions about which flower was which.