|12|

・。

.・。.・゜✭・..・。.・゜✭・.

E A R T H   6 1 5

2 0 2 0

.

.

Liana was silent. The room was quiet, save for her troubled breathing and Pietro's steady one. The tesseract on her lap was still gripped tightly, and she chewed on her fingernails. Erik's face kept flashing through her mind as he was killed. So brutally, so quickly, as if his death was meaningless. As if his life was meaningless. 

After everything he'd done for her, she couldn't save him. And that thought alone was enough to break her. It made her want to curl up in a ball and die right then and there. She didn't care about her world or the people at the rebel bases that had greatly helped her. Everyone from every base they'd visited, no matter how brief. Nothing mattered because she couldn't save the person who had saved her. 

That strong sense of self, that confident woman she'd grown into during the twelve years she was on the run, was long gone. Instead, she shrunk inside herself. Desperate to hold it together, to hold onto her mind, when it felt like it was fleeting away from her. 

But Pietro's steady breathing was beside her. The tesseract was in her lap. And the room was warm. 

Erik's death would not be meaningless. She would help her world with or without the Avengers. She and Pietro would find a way. They had to. 

Vision, the man she'd seen in her dreamwalk, stared at her when he thought she didn't know as if he was trying to be respectful about it. And when their eyes met, he bowed his head politely. Liana wasn't quite sure what to make of him. 

When the door opened again, not everyone had returned. Steve, the man with the glasses, Bucky, Natasha, and Wanda. 

"It's very late," Natasha began. "We recently had a mission, and most of the team is still recuperating. Wanda has offered the two of you a place to sleep tonight in her room. The doors will be locked. You will not be able to get out, but you will be safe. And Wanda will be with you."

"You are safe here," Wanda said. "I promise you."

"In the morning, we can discuss this and review some things. I think we all need to mentally catch up to where we are. We have many questions, and I'm sure you have many of your own. We can have our team of doctors look you over as well. Do you guys have any questions?"

Liana glanced at Pietro, who shook his head. She mimicked his actions and said, "I would greatly appreciate that. Natasha. I can understand how this might all be to hear."