|4|

・。

.・。.・゜✭・..・。.・゜✭・.

E A R T H 6 1 5

2 0 1 6

.

.

.

The soft glow of the television lit up Bucky's face in the early fall morning. His shades were drawn per usual, his room without a speck of dust, and his bed unslept in. The digital clock on his dark oak nightstand read that it was just before five, and he'd seen the hours slip away since he woke after two.

The compound was quiet this early, a sound he was very much accustomed to. The small staff that did work on the campus had yet to arrive, the maintenance team for the grounds outside, and the staff that cleaned the buildings once a week. Even the people who supplied the food had yet to come, but they'd be here soon enough.

There was a pillow and a throw blanket on the floor beside him as he leaned his back against the end of the bed, cradling his face in his hands.

Flashes and images of his past haunted him more than usual overnight, and he couldn't shake the feeling, the guilt and horror, of what he'd done. The faces of each life he'd taken came back to taunt him, to ask why he'd killed them. The sea of faces was a tidal wave that washed over his heart and lungs until he woke up drenched in sweat and vomited until his throat was raw and he could taste blood.

Bucky had stayed by the toilet for an hour before his stomach settled enough, and he'd returned to the floor where he'd slept.

Having the television on at night wasn't helping anymore.

Bucky chewed on his thumbnail as a Westchester County morning broadcasting program came on, and it cascaded blue light over his tired features.

"Good morning New Yorkers, and happy first day of fall. This morning we'll bring you an update on the weather, the beautiful fall foliage that has begun to bloom across the state and where the best views are, and a special coverage on the infamous Winter Soldier, and where he stands after the events of Sokovia late last year. But for now, here's Joseph with the weather."

Bucky glared at the television set and grabbed the remote to shut it off. "I was never even in Sokovia," He muttered to himself. Both Tony and Steve believed him too much of liability to help hunt down the rest of the Hydra bases, not that his scrambling mind would've been any help. And he certainly wasn't fit to see combat in his state of mind. Not that he had even offered to help in the first place.

Coursing, burning anger began to pump through his veins and he felt as if his head was going to explode. After briefly closing his eyes, he stood up and grabbed his sneakers.